Tuesday, March 10, 2009

More than a toe in

Religious Instruction

I’m going whole hog, starting classes in preparation for baptism the Sunday after Easter. I am into it even as I can’t quite believe I’m doing it. This feels like our church home. I wonder what the future will bring. My mother is threatening to come to my baptism. I’ll be happy to see her if so. I've just written to my MIL who will probably also be all over this. She's the motivated Christian among us.

I found out last week that my brother has been going to Catholic classes with his sons. Ry’s first wife was Catholic and they were married with a long mass and all. But they never went afterwards as far as I know. (Did they? I don’t remember hearing about my nephews baptisms or anything.) I don’t think my brother did any other churching besides our family’s Unitarian-ing until now. But here we are, both going to our religious instruction classes. We must all be needing the spiritual dimension now. Seems like the right sort of activity for an economic downturn.

Motherly Concern

Now that I’ve told her a bit about our ignominious money crunch my mother is worried about me. I thought I had explained that we had no money sense and were low on options and so forth. But apparently I had not prepared the ground adequately. So now I get the “it’s hard not to be able to talk to you on the phone” (I guess this is because I didn’t call her over the weekend) and “I’m going to write you a Real letter with a list of questions.” Argh, just what I need - homework. I am calling her tonight to try and head off her armada of concern. (With my fleet of… metaphor turns its toes up and croaks.)

Linkless

Though it feels impolite, I have no links. Sorry.

2 comments:

Bee said...

You don't always have to have links, dear one. Your own life is certainly rich enough!

I got your kind note; thank you. I hope you are enjoying SF.

I suppose that the annoying thing about being a mother is that you never really get to turn the worrying thing off. It was a big shock to me to discover that people have problems for the entire course of their lives . . . and some of the problems are a lot bigger than whatever was suffered through at age 5 or even 15. I hope that spiritual matters provide a balm.

umint is word verification:
a good sign?

Nimble said...

I liked hearing about your surprise that even grownups had problems. In my early adulthood I was surprised to realize that my parents did not have very definite ideas about their spirituality. I think after reading too many fantasy novels that I thought there was some spiritual secret that I would attain upon my majority. It would have clear rules about the mysteries: this is how you pray and this is what we believe about heaven and sin. But no, we’re all just muddling along. There are certainly people who see bright lines in their religious beliefs but I find I don’t have much in common with them (flee!).

‘umint’ reminds me of the pronunciation ‘gummint’ for ‘government’.