Thursday, March 5, 2009

Quotations and Skin

I was thinking yesterday about the Caterpillar’s advice to Alice: “Keep your temper.” The wonderful thing about it is that Alice has been standing by the mushroom waiting patiently for it to say something. And at long last that’s all it says. How infuriating and petty. And yet also good advice. There’s the question I should keep in mind next time I read Alice in Wonderland: what is the import of keeping and losing one’s temper in that universe?

“The goo is good. I like the goo!” Katy said that over the weekend, I wish I could remember to what she was referring

I’m enjoying Michael Lewis’s article about how Iceland financially imploded. Sorry Icelanders, I don’t mean that I’m enjoying your misfortune.
Here's the quote that made me snort...

Because Iceland is really just one big family, it’s simply annoying to go around asking Icelanders if they’ve met Björk. Of course they’ve met Björk; who hasn’t met Björk? Who, for that matter, didn’t know Björk when she was two? “Yes, I know Björk,” a professor of finance at the University of Iceland says in reply to my question, in a weary tone. “She can’t sing, and I know her mother from childhood, and they were both crazy. That she is so well known outside of Iceland tells me more about the world than it does about Björk.”


I’m sure the Danish will get around to reading this in print as she is a big Vanity Fair fan. I have seen this article linked three times so far in blogs I read. It be popular.

Oh and here’s something from a Nancy Nall comments section:
What is the difference between a pigeon and an investment banker? The pigeon can still make a deposit on a new Mercedes.
Nancy is a freelancing former journalist, one of the two Detroit bloggers I read regularly. She seems to be losing her patience with news in both the political and financial spheres.

I've been treating my rosacea (acne around the nose and mouth) for a couple of years now. And I have found something that helps me besides oral antibiotics. Those work but I don't want to take them for the rest of my days. Azelaic acid is my topical of choice, brand name Finacea. And isn't that a cool name, azelaic acid? Turns out to be a chemical compound that is excreted by beneficial yeast on the surface of the skin. Count me in favor of beneficial excretions. I found out about this from a rosacea website and my (nice but possibly quacky) doctor agreed to prescribe it. My skin is less red and irritated and pustulatory -- I win. My doctor agreed to write me a bunch of refills for me to use it as I choose. And asked me if I needed any other prescriptions at this time. I wondered if I was missing out by not asking for something recreational. But that is not my life.

1 comment:

Bee said...

Did the Icelandic article mention how many British charities and local councils had their money invested in Icelandic banks? It was a big shock to me.

Good news on the beneficial drugs.