Monday, March 16, 2009

Zeitgeist, Stroke and Pole

This Wall Street Journal article gets at some of the unspoken mood of the US. Our assumptions have been shaken. After living in the 80s and 90s and 00s that is what amazes me. There have been plenty of events during the last three decades to shake our assumptions. And none of them have. The market was hot and real estate went through the roof and we would get around to greenhouse gases and the end of fossil fuels later sometime. But here now in 2009, things will not go on as they did before in the financial world. This is probably a good thing in many cases but the result is lots of uncertainty. Also see Bee’s Monopoly post about the feeling of tenseness. We’re all wondering how bad it will get financially. Should we hunker and pinch pennies? Or if you’ve got a comfortable amount, should you spend right along to try and keep local businesses afloat? I hope we will all escape hunger and homelessness and bumble along one way or another.

The WSJ piece also notes an uptick in catholic church attendance. Ha! I’m part of the zeitgeist, like it or not.

Oh lord that reminds me. I have church homework. As part of confirmation class we’re supposed to pick a bible verse or story we find comforting. The cool part of the assignment is that we’re also supposed to pick a verse or story that troubles us or that we don’t understand. That won’t be hard. I’ll just have to decide on my favorite. But one that I find comforting… I suppose I could just get psalmy and pick one that’s read at funerals. I really am insufferable to worry about what my confirmation class will think of me if I pick an obvious bible verse. I guess I want them to see how cool and smart I am by the obscure yet haunting verse I pick. Everyone, all together now, EYEROLL.

That was the end of logical transitions, now I'll just whirl 'round and accost you on the subject of sudden brain injury:

What do you know about stroke? I fear strokes without knowing too much about the phenom. There is an email circulating that my boss forwarded to us today. It contained a quick way to tell whether someone has just had a stroke. It looked both like a commonly forwarded email *and* like good advice (not such a common combination) so I looked for some corroboration. Snopes.com came through for me. It has a nice page on stroke info and endorses this STR test with only slight reservations. The mnemonic is STR, the first three letters in stroke. S Smile – can the person smile? T Talk – Can they repeat a sentence? R Raise – Can they raise both arms over their head? If no to any one of these, get them to a hospital for evaluation asap. The urgency is that treatment within three hours may be much more effective than treatment after that window. I think I can remember this, for a while anyway. Snopes also warns against a different quacky email that encourages you to get all ten fingers of the stroke victim to bleed in order to theoretically relieve the pressure in their brain. Shudder.

This weekend I came up with a new bumper sticker idea that made Nod and I guffaw for a while: I’d Rather Be Pole Dancing. My inspiration was a strange outfit we’d seen at the pizza buffet on Sunday. This woman’s look seemed to be saying: stripper out for Sunday brunch.

2 comments:

Bee said...

I've just been wondering if Natasha Richardson actually had a stroke when she had her ski fall. It just doesn't sound like that kind of fall could lead to this kind of injury. BTW, I am very scared of strokes/embolisms/aneurisms (sp?) and basically anything coming out of nowhere that happens really, really fast. I am also scared of car wrecks.

Nimble said...

I haven't read about what happened during NR's accident. What a sad loss. Usually when it's a ski fatality there's a tree involved.

I tend to be scared of the sudden injury that leaves one much different than before. When I'm feeling flip I think a sudden unexpected pop that carries me off around age 80 would be a good thing.