Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Moving in air

'Air like wine' was one of my father's favorite sayings. (He also liked to take 'air baths' on long road trips. An air bath happens whenever it's windy enough to pretend the air is water. And it is refreshing after hours cooped up in the car.) We're having highs in the upper 80s / low 90s this week which seems delightful and more enjoyable than we expect from a Kansas summer. The mosquitoes will keep us safe from vanity.

Katy needs a recreational pursuit. I am going to call the parents of a classmate who does soccer to find out what program that is. She is so strong and deft right now, I really want to see her practice something physical. She taught herself to hula hoop at the beginning of the summer. Last summer she taught herself to do a cartwheel. I love to see her drive.

Lexi has been invited to go to the local pizza buffet tonight with a friend's family. I am a little unprepared (my baybee!) but if she's happy to go I will let her. Feeling somewhat socially inept on my own behalf, I hope I can help my kids handle their social lives as they get older and more connected. This ties back into the Austen I've been reading. There is a lot in there about the presence or absence of parental guidance and its success or failure.

Katy has phantom ear pain according to the doctor who saw her today. So I guess we'll dose her with acetaminophen and trust that it will go away.

4 comments:

amenaneri said...

Yes, parental stuff is everywhere in Austen. There are actually no positive parental figures (as actual parents) in her entire work. Well, possibly in Sense and Sensibility, but we don't really know how the father was before he passed, although the way he left them with no guarantee of an income isn't a positive sign. And the mother is OK, but Elinor really seems to run things.

Otherwise, all dead or ineffectual for a variety of reasons. What a cynic our Jane is about parents! Doesn't say much for the quality of her own parents, or for the parenting she saw around her. Wait, the Gardiners in P&P were good parental figures and parents--aha, one example!

More bolstering words from your biggest fan: You are a wonderful person to be social with--you're funny, fun, smart, friendly. Your only flaw in my book is the tendency to hide your light under a bushel and doubt yourself. But feeling a bit shy doesn't make you a pariah, my dear. Just means not enough people get the opportunity to know your worth, which is mighty.

amenaneri said...

One more lesson from Austen is that most of her heroines are lovely people regardless of their inadequate parenting. They learn by negative example, if nothing else, so don't fear for your little darlings--they will turn out just fine and learn their own lessons about how to fit into the world.

amenaneri said...

Hey, blogette--

Check out this cool post in the New Yorker about a city-wide music festival: http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/musical/2009/07/06/090706crmu_music_ross?currentPage=1

It sounds like an amazing thing.

Nimble said...

Thank you for the JA commentary, AM. You have the chops for it!

And thanks for the encouragement. I am in no doubt as to my mighty social worth, just my dexterity at hawking it. Ha. Really we all feel awkward about some aspect of the 'will you be my friend' stuff. Encouraging the offspring is just the most recent opportunity to face the unknown here.

I'm perusing that NY'er article today 7/2. Hopefully I won't be able to finish because they'll kick us out early...