Wednesday, November 18, 2009

More Stream of Something

Things to know about coffee. I didn't know about the neuro chemical function of caffeine. Cool beans man. I donated a dollar after enjoying this web comic. Surely in the future this sort of off-the-cuff cyber paying will be easier to do. It's pretty clunky right now.
     ....................
Katy has invented her own abbreviation origin story and tells me that pajamas are to be referred to now as Potato Jaguars. I don't get it -- but I like it.
     ....................
I can hear crackles when Lexi breathes. I'm going to go give her a dose of albuterol this afternoon. And maybe up her other maintenance med as well. I am steering in the dark here but I want her to breathe easier. Her follow up appt with the asthma doc is Dec. 1. I am hoping she'll pull out of this cold/asthma flare up and not need to be seen before then.
     .................... 
I am also working on my own chest cold and deeply resent having to interact with other humans while I've got it. I was planning to feel better after having a puny weekend. But the virus has its own plans. I am coughing and phlegmy and things are out of balance. I want a week at a sanitarium, slurping chicken broth and laying by a sunny window to get my strength back. I would promise to come back as soon as I was bored.

The trouble is that I'm not *that* sick so I try to do everything that normally needs to be done. And then feel martyred. When I remember to have the slightest bit of perspective, I do feel grateful that I am not terribly sick. And yet the daily do be grinding.
     .................... 
Finished the police procedural novel Bangkok 8 by Burdett and it was so good. Page turning and enticing. The plot and crime details are a little wonky but the setting and characters, especially the narrator Sonchai Jitpleecheep are wonderful. The book even made me want to go to Bangkok... for a little while. But that passed and now I'm happy perusing blogs about Thailand and reading about the travels of others instead. Here's one with lots of good writing by western visitors to the country. And here's a description of Thai soap operas which sound pretty much like telenovelas but with most of the sex removed and the presence of ghosts added. Oh and I find that there are at least two other novels in Burdett's Bangkok series. I have the warm feeling of novels waiting for me.

I have Wodehouse on the bedside table because it almost seems as healing as chicken broth. And I want to try all the home remedies. Maybe I'll put Vick's on my chest tonight. I thought about making garlic soup but it just made my stomach twist to contemplate. So I'll have to go with lower doses of the stinking rose.
     .................... 
Oh my Lord -- I have got to start jumping up and down according to this NYT article. I think they are hilariously trying to generalize human exercise tips from a mouse study. And I think that mice have significantly different body mechanics. But still. I like the idea of jumping up and down 40 times a week. That is an exercise routine that I can squeeze in.

2 comments:

The Subtle Rudder said...

I will join you at the sanitarium, Nimble. Let's make it in a temperate spot with lots of thai thrillers on the shelves...

Nimble said...

TSR Yes, lets. All white furnishings. Fresh flowers. Maybe we'll have a string quartet that plays for thirty minutes on Thursday afternoons...