Friday, November 20, 2009

Reclining for Good or Ill

Update:  Lexi's breathing sounded much better Wednesday evening. So I didn't add any extra meds. But boy I'm gonna if I hear any of that crackling again! (Since empty threats apparently work.)
     ....................
My cold may have retreated a bit. Not feeling quite so put upon by every single thing that needs to be done. But I'm still indulging in invalid fantasies. Soothing views out windows that are opened twice a day for some bracing fresh air. A weekly visit with an approving director who tells me I'm making excellent progress but not to push myself. Reclining on the terrace, taking the sun but well wrapped in case of a chill breeze...

     ....................
So those breast cancer screening recommendations certainly are grist for all our mills. Here is a good enunciation of the merits of the recommendation. Then a follow up by the same writer covering the more cartoony reactions in the blogosphere. I like that Respectful Insolence, I'll be checking in with them regularly. As to how this pertains to my own personal chest luggage, I think I'll do that thing they always tell you to do, 'talk with your doctor'. Just finished with this year's squeezin so when I get the letter next fall telling me to make an appointment I'll give my doc a call. I don't think I want to wait until I'm 50 for my next one, but maybe halfway there.

Recommending not teaching breast self exam seems perverse, no? But at the same time let's be open to research results. It may let me off the hook for feeling (ha) that breast self examination doesn't make much sense for me personally. As I fall on the lumpy end of the spectrum, it's never made me feel very secure. Lumps? yup there are lumps. I know the idea is to get a feel for the regular lumpy landscape in hopes that an irregularity will be noticed. But it's always seemed like a morbid waste of time. I do hope that I'm tuned in enough to notice if something's wrong.
     ....................
Here's a new word that I don't know if I'll retain: hecatomb (pronounced heckatoom). OED tells us it's originally Greek for 100 oxen set aside for sacrifice, now meaning a great public sacrifice, implies a heap. See that last example quotation, "What altars hecatomb'd with Christian gore!" J. Barlow. Shudder. Wonder what he was getting at.
     ....................
And here's your haw for the day, CATS FOR GOLD via John Scalzi who is giving good rant today too.

2 comments:

The Subtle Rudder said...

Heh, I have lumpy chest luggage, too.

Love the new word...they're having a hecatomb somewheres in the world, even in the face of massive protest. More details than that and I'd have to use the google. See, this is how a body can be low-information while wasting too many hours on the internet. Nothing quite sticks...

Bee said...

Fibrocystic breasts: I've got them, too. I once had a gyno that said I didn't really have to feel myself up every month . . . but I just saw someone who differed in opinion. I still haven't had a mammogram yet.

R took a Greek exam today. She was working on translations from Homer's Odyssey. She was telling me some anecdote about Odysseus writing something on his back while we were driving home . . . but I've lost the gist. I will ask her if she can figure out what hecatomb is; apparently, she is a Greek genius.