Thursday, February 18, 2010

A few

Turn of the century (1900) French shepherds on stilts and knitting too. Fabulous! Now I want to go striding over the countryside on my stilts. Watch out for low bushes and rabbitholes though, that'd be quite a fall.

Late again, I am going to overcome my habitual resistance and acquire some US history. I've decided to memorize the first ten US presidents and their dates in office. It's the time of year when I feel like doing something 'good for me' in the green vegetables sense. No promises that I'll get out of the 19th century.

Despite the sugar monkey on my back I did not get around to celebrating February 15, Half Off Candy Day. But the day after Easter will come in due time.

Am still wriggling in housing uncertainty. We have two places to see (if the spheres align) this weekend. Must decide by end of February. Thank fod for a deadline.

Three things to intrigue or delight. This blog is doin it rite.

2 comments:

amenaneri said...

Hello, darling--

Catching up to your blog after a very busy couple of weeks. I loved the shepherds on stilts! Makes me think of Tom Robbins "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" which features a man who decides (for various Robbins-esque reasons too ridiculous and convoluted to summarize) that his feet can't touch the ground, so creates all sorts of stilts, wheelchairs, etc. to have this happen.

You are DEFINITELY too old to live in substandard student housing. Have you totally decided not to do the communal thing? It's the one thing I remember you talking about that didn't give you the depressing heebie-jeebies about having to move....may the perfect thing come your way. How about living in some professor's house while they're on sabbatical for a year? Or moving back to NM or San Fran? ;-)

Roast chicken--yum. I've been on a kick lately, too--did it the Julia Child way by putting lots of butter under the skin and basting with melted butter--totally awesome.

Also did a chicken under a brick--cut out the backbone of a whole chicken, salt & pepper it all over and under skin, heat up a saute pan, a little oil, then put in the chicken flattened out (like road kill), skin side down and smoosh it under another heavy pan with heavy cans or bricks in it. Cook it for a good 10-15 mins over hot, but not super hot heat, until the skin is really crispy. Then take off the heavy pan, put some cut up potatoes, carrots, onions into the pan and flip over the bird on top of the veggies, and then put the whole thing in the oven for 20-30 mins at 400 degrees. The veggies roast in the chicken fat and juices, the chicken skin is really crispy. Yum.

I'm going to NM April 8-11 to dote on Lily--might we intersect? Or might we hook up another time/place? I miss you.

Love, The Danish

Nimble said...

Darling! Thank you for the news and so on. Yes, we're going with the community living rental, signed papers over the weekend. More details to come. I'm even getting a little excited.

I'm glad to hear that you will be in Santa Feola in April. Miss Lily should be in fine form and oh a baby in springtime, how nice. I am sorry I won't be able to be there. We're planning a trip to the Omaha Zoo for Memorial day. Otherwise money hoarding continues. I miss you too!