Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blip

I may be too scaredy cat to keep reading The Little Stranger. I was so gung ho to start this book after loving Fingersmith. But last weekend I got to the first disturbing manifestation of something eerie in the crumbling mansion. And then I promptly had a nightmare about being harrassed by a ghost. I retreated and went with crossword puzzles and McCall Smith (In the Company of Cheerful Ladies) for a while. I think I will give it one more try before I decide to give up.

Contemplating volcanic ash and its flight canceling effects. Nod told me the story of a flight that experienced all four of its engines going dead after flying through such a cloud in 1982. It's quite a tale. The pilots were able to restart three of the engines after they had cooled and some of the ash had come off. But the windscreen was so badly pitted that they landed blind, with only partially working instruments. This landing was described by the captain as "a bit like negotiating one's way up a badger's arse". That was a British Airways flight if you couldn't tell. 

Going to a university production of Anything Goes this Friday. I know plenty of the songs but haven't ever seen the show before. They are promising a stage full of tap dancers, which did not frighten me off. I'm hoping for a slice of pure entertainment pie.

3 comments:

AliBlahBlah said...

That reminds me of the old joke that when 2 engines failed the captain tells the passengers that they'll be able to limp home but it'll take an extra 2 hours, when 3 engines fail he tells everyone that it'll take another 4 hours. An old man looks at the passenger next to him and says 'wow, if this keeps on, we'll be up here all day'.

The Subtle Rudder said...

Wish I could go with you...I was in several productions at KU back in the 80s. It would feel like old home week to sit in the audience.

Nimble said...

Ali: I like that joke. When all 4 go out that's a mighty big paperweight in the sky.

TSR: Theater experience as well -- you have plenty of hidden depths. I wish you could come too. Do the chihuahuas like musical theater?