Monday, October 18, 2010

Dial it down

I was delighted to be told I was completely wrong about my toothache. Last week I leapt self pityingly to conclusions as the ache got worse and worse. On Friday morning I was told that the ache was due to the temporary crown being too high. Even though I didn't have pain when I bit down, just later up in my jaw. The technician spent a long time grinding the crown down. And it worked: I didn't have any pain over the weekend. Even better, no root canal or anything like that is in my future. They had to take impressions of all my teeth on Friday because my bite is so wack. I have a very open bite in the front (this means that if I take a bite of a sub sandwich straight on, my front teeth don't meet and I drag a bunch of stuff out of the sandwich rather than bite through it). I can compensate because my side teeth meet, so I just bite with the corner of my mouth and all's well. Apparently my back teeth also come together in a weird way.

So glad to be thoroughly wrong about the cause of the ache. What a relief to have that fixed.

On Schmutzie's blog:  "Mid-life crises should be sexier events. ...  We should glow like we're giving birth to giant, self-aware manifestations of our true selves. I should have lustrous hair and the chub of fruition." Damn right. Where's my glow?!

2 comments:

Lucy said...

That's such a relief when tooth problems aren't as bad as expected. I grew up with the idea that one's teeth couldn't possibly last a lifetime, that decay and pain and eventually dentures were inevitable. I'm still occasionally grateful that this isn't in fact the case. I had anxiety dreams about falling teeth for a long time too, but I don't think I do now.

I remember 'The Wolves of Willoughby Chase' on bookshelves and reading lists as a youngster, but regret to say I didn't read it. Do you remember Andre Norton? I've been reading some extracts with my adult students, including one from 'Jane Eyre'. Something that occurred to me was how haphazard and unimportant the child Adele was in the narrative, really just a convenience, and no indication of what happened to her eventually as I remember.

Nimble said...

L: Hm, I had to look it up to see. I thought I remembered Jane saying that they took her in during all the happy ending-ing. But no. She says that she found a congenial school for her and brought her home on some holidays. And then it's implied that she became a governess or at least a companion in their home.

I'm afraid little Adele is not much more than a symbol to bear witness to Rochester's former wild life. And of course a charicature of vain French empty headed femaleness. I smiled at the English high-handed denigration but perhaps I shouldn't have.

The end of the passage:

As she grew up, a sound English education corrected in a great measure her French defects; and when she left school, I found in her a pleasing and obliging companion: docile, good-tempered, and well-principled. By her grateful attention to me and mine, she has long since well repaid any little kindness I ever had it in my power to offer her.