Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tea and Cookies

Doesn't that sound good? Now who can I set to baking?

Intrusive songs:
"We Wish You A Merry Christmas", but not an anonymous caroling version, it's the Kingston Trio Christmas album version. All earnest, peacenik, young man-like.

"You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch" We watched the cartoon on Tuesday night and that actually got rid of this one (mostly). A nasty-wasty skunk!

"Angels From the Realms of Glory", not so bad really.

"Jingle Bells" by the Tijuana Brass. That's not mine, it's Nod's and he haaaates it. I only feel nostalgic delight when I remember the LP album cover my parents had. Mariachi trumpeters with shiny Christmas ornaments coming out of their trumpets. Happy sigh.

Health
Our collective cold may be receding without morphing into something worse. I went into the girls' bedroom last night and wedged a cushion under the head of Lexi's mattress. This was supposed to help her head drain so she would cough less. And whether my wedging had anything to do with it or not, she did cough less! We all slept better last night. I am still a rough-voiced vixen but my sore throat is a bit better and I feel less sorry for myself than yesterday.

Ovens
Just realized that by taking on two housesitting gigs for neighbors I have two extra ovens should I need them when the turkey is cooking. Heh. I never realized it before but luxury = spare ovens. Which reminds me I heard an insipid book review piece on NPR this morning (I accept that this is part of the inevitable buffet of holiday fluff pieces). The comment that got me was the assertion that luxury is not about money but about careful object choice and sincere home economy or something I really couldn't follow. Poppycock, luxury is explicitly about money and having something that most people don't have. The end.

Sparkle and Glow
Our tree is still beautiful. Plus Nod put the spare/unreliable strand of lights out on the little tree-in-a-pot outside and it's gorgeous! I strung up a paper garland across our living room. Because I didn't want to put tape on the painted walls it ended up being a limbo line for the adults. But Nod found a cuphook for the ceiling and now it's less of a finish line tape. He also hung stockings. I have more Christmas glitz than I expected, it's just exactly what I require. 

Movie fest continues
Watched It's a Wonderful Life last night. Realized too late that we should have chosen letterbox format - everyone's face was a little stretched. I liked it but not with the fervor of my early 90s self. Now it gets me more that George is stymied every time he tries to leave town. The horror aspect is amusing. It seemed to take a very long time to get to the "good part" with the angel. And can anyone tell me what that thing in the drugstore is? George makes a wish every time he goes past "I wish I had a million dollars" and then pushes the lever and when the flame appears he says "Hot Dog!" like he got his wish. I guess that it's a cigarette lighter for customers, at a convenient height accessible to children of course. And maybe the flint wheel doesn't light every time so that's the uncertainty/will-I-get-my-wish part? The Old Maid and the Cook should be that movie's alternate title, those are the two most cringeworthy elements from a modern perspective. What I still love: George's giddiness when he's restored and his eager acceptance of all the lumps along with all the good parts of his life. "Isn't it wonderful? I'm going to jail!" Like the joy of the reformed Scrooge. (Our Christmas movie fest included the Muppet Christmas Carol with Michael Caine. I liked it okay and might watch it again in the future if I could skip the songs. Paul Williams had nothing to be proud of there.)

More Cooking
Making chicken and dumplings tonight. I have a turkey and a plan (dry brining). I don't have much else for the Christmas day feast but we'll get it together. MIL coming today. Will shop for husband's tools today. He bought something for his mom so I feel like we're closer to done. Time to do a quick blitzkrieg on toilets and sinks and I'll feel ready to host.

Tea
I'm drinking Muscat and Oolong tea. It's a Japanese combination from my coworker. It smells intensely of grapes, like Concord grapes but there is only a slight winy taste to the tea. Very pleasant but as Toshi says, it's too pungent to drink with food. For my tea and cookies I'll have to have some weak to moderate black tea. I'll give some to the girls with milk and sugar cubes too, that's always a big hit.

Precious Sun
I lit a candle for the solstice and am glad to have it behind us. Onward through the cold months. Cosy thoughts to all and to all a good holiday.

2 comments:

Bee said...

Just checking in . . . it's rather late on Xmas Eve here, but we have tired of eating/games/TV and are about to go to bed.

I don't think I've ever watched It's a Wonderful Life all the way through . . . I've just seen bits and pieces. It reminds me of Amy; she loved it.

Did you ever make a gingerbread house? We've had an assembly line of gingerbread houses this year and I have some tips/useful advice for you . . . but it can wait until next year. I guess you are in brining mode now.

See you again on the 27th . . . when we can start chillin'.
Festive wishes and thoughts.
love, Bee x

Nimble said...

Merry merry Bee! No g'bread houses this year so send tips whenever you're ready. I made some sugar cookies and we all (daughters, MIL and me) frosted them and had a great time. So no cookie shortage after all. Whew. Working on the turkey now.