Thursday, February 17, 2011

Back with Fluff

Gelatinous cloud
This is a phrase that was rolling around in my mouth this morning. It seemed to relate to my hibernated body. I'm a bit wigglier and weaker than a few months ago. I did some stretches this morning. Nothing violent enough to pull muscles. But I did make them tremble with the effort of holding me up. All right muscles, there's going to be more of that -- this is a friendly warning. I'm wearing a t shirt right now with no other layers. The feel of air on my upper arms is novel and intoxicating. Makes me want to do a few pushups.

It's Canadian *and* Shakespearian!
I stumbled across the TV series Slings and Arrows at the library. It's making me laugh and pleasing me down to the ends of my theater geek toes. I may be neglecting housework in order to watch first season episodes every night. If so I say that it's worth it. There are three seasons in total. You already know this but Rachel McAdams is ridiculously pretty and appealing.

Books I wasn't wild about
Now I think the Danish would like this one: And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander. It's set in Victorian England and goes at a brisk pace with a fine art mystery and a couple of good, substantial romance plots. I found the dialogue and motivations of the characters anachronistic so some of it felt like paper dolls to me. If you're a historical fiction fan and willing to put up with some of that, it's entertaining.

Death of a Chancellor by David Dickinson is pretty terrible and I was glad to fling it down at last. It's number four in a series and I won't be reading any of the others. I will say that whoever did the art layout of the cover did a great job.

In Search Of
I loved that series. I suppose it was Nimoy's narration. But also the weird artefacts and history and oddness that they emphasized. Currently I am in search of a tv antenna which seems almost as anachronistic as that series. I have a digital box now and just lack the antenna. I have to hurry up so I can watch the regional PBS stations before their funding is cut! The truly irksome part is that I had an above-average pair of rabbit ears that I left behind in the move. Fitzpah! I checked out the catholic thrift shop today. Close but no cigar. The shady electronics reseller (they're not quite a pawn shop) should be next.

Bad Scout
I am tired of Lexi's Brownie troop activities. I begged off the two events last week because it was snowy for the first one and muddy for the second. This Saturday they're set to drive to Topeka (40 min.) to go ice skating. I didn't wanna. I felt bad about not wanting to go. Finally I asked Lexi how she felt about ice skating. And she didn't want to go because she's never ice skated before! Sadly I am going to encourage this fear of new activities because it so suits my own agenda.

2 comments:

Bee said...

The last sentence cracked me up. I have mothered in just that fashion -- not always, of course, but at times.

Why does it seem like the body can turn to mush faster than it can harden up?

Nimble said...

Hi Bee, thanks for your snickers of solidarity.