Wednesday, April 13, 2011

No Shortage

Short on sleep yesterday. I chose to stay up late baking zucchini muffins for Lexi's birthday class treat and then messing around. Punished for this when I was woken in the night by Katy. She had nonspecific stomach pains. I guess I'd pick those over stomach pains that are the harbinger of stomach flu. We were up for a while in the 3:45 range until she could go back to sleep. I was grumpy and forgetful in the morning but it was a lovely day and I came around to cheerful again. Lexi's teacher said that the kids were fairly horrified by the idea of zucchini muffins but that they were eaten up mostly. It was all my 7 y.o.'s idea, she loves that recipe.

The poncho is almost done. I scored a basketful of yarn from a garage sale, we came late and they were in get-rid-of-it mode -- gave it to me for nuthin. My colors aren't as cool as the pattern photo but it's still cute. I found a reference to a pointy hat pattern from Kids Crochet on Ravelry. I got the book from the library and it's fun and substantial. I decided not to start a hat until the poncho is entirely done because that way lies madness or at least four half-completed projects. Pulling loops is very satisfying right now. The small and controllable creative act is a relief.

We're having highs in the 70s finally. It's a beautiful spring this week. Then we're forecast to have highs in the 50s for a couple of days just to keep us on our toes.

I missed book group on Sunday when I was busy feeling sorry for myself. Not sorry about it though because Oryx and Crake was a big ball of no fun. I skimmed the rest on Monday so I could see how the pandemic occurred and what happened at the end. M. Atwood, your writing is not for me. I'm still sawing away at Sovereign Ladies; I've gotten to Victoria's later years and then it's the current queen. (Victoria was a greedy thing.) I love the copious poitrine on the cover. I wonder what painting that snip is from. The next book group book is Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Franklin which is described as literary mystery. I'm looking forward to it. I'm also going to start reading Case Histories by Atkinson which I've heard good things about. Although the word "gruesome" has also featured and I'm prepared to fling it from me. After all, there is no shortage of books.

5 comments:

Lucy said...

Are the courgette muffins sweet? I saw a courgette cake recipe once when I was looking for a chocolate beetroot cake one, which was delicious.

I liked Case Histories, I think I quite like KA but she is bleak, bleak more than gruesome, I think. I liked Behind the Scenes at the Museum which was hilarious and heart-breakingly bleak by turns. I've got another of hers lined up but I haven't yet felt in the mood, or strong enough, or something.

Nimble said...

@Lucy: Yes, they are pumpkin muffins with a substitution. I grate the zucchini finely and although you can see a little green you can't taste anything but sweet spice cake.

I've just dipped into Case Histories and I see that the adorable three year old is going to disappear without a trace. I think I'll put it back for now.

The Nag said...

I really liked Kate Atkinson's detective novels- quite a change from her earlier novels. But then I loved Oryx and Crake.

Bee said...

Have you always known how to knit or is this a new skill?

Nimble said...

@Bee I have crocheted since high school. (I remember sweltering in the Ledge Lane house in San Antonio underneath an afghan I crocheted for a friend. And in retrospect, boy was it ugly.) I have taught myself to knit a couple of times but have never gotten fluent with it. Although I must be splitting hairs, it seems more boring than crochet.