Thursday, June 2, 2011

Math at Taco Bell

While mowing the grass a few weeks ago I realized that I enjoyed how visible the chore was. I am going to work on acknowledging, feeding, and harnessing my inner show-off. I may be quiet and like to go to bed early but I also enjoy doing things with an audience.

The holiday on Monday was not quite hot enough for my Texan husband to go to the outdoor pool. It needs to be in the 90s for him and 82 just wouldn't do. So we found other things to do together all four of us. We went to Taco Bell for lunch. It was jolly and after we had mostly finished eating Katy asked us to show her long division again because she said she had found it confusing. So Nod gave her some easy long division to do and we talked through the steps. Then Lexi didn't want to be left out and she asked for some three digit numbers to add. And we upped the ante and did some subtraction with borrowing with her. Everyone was engaged and happy. It was odd and really good quality family time.

I'm set to meet more of my future work group at IT tomorrow. The big boss said I could look at a job description and salary range and then not a word for two weeks. Haven't seen either of them of course. I am remembering that this is a big adventure and enjoying my flexible schedule for now. I've bought air tickets for the girls and I to go to Austin in August. Haven't asked permission, hope they don't mind much. It's not quite the week before classes start at KU so I figure I'll still be around for the red hot busy time. Nod won't be able to go to Texas which makes his mother sad (she's in denial, "I hope he'll find a way to come down for just a weekend") but he will have just started his job. And I mine but of course I'm rocking my state employee status plus what seems to be the guilt of the group that's been saddled with us.  

At home with the kids today, Nod had yesterday and will have them tomorrow. They start their all day summer program on Monday and we'll be fully functional for June and July. I'm going to take them to get their teeth sealed (quick and easy it's just the paint on stuff) and then to the pool. After we go to swap our car with the ripped tire for the Subaru which has been completely repaired! Two functioning cars are within our grasp. It's a wonderful thing. We've decided this is the good kind of debt and are moving forward with it. And the Mazda will have decent tires for the first time in a couple of years. I slid many times last winter including one 360 at an intersection one morning. Looking forward to more road gripping.

4 comments:

Bee said...

The idea of "the good kind of debt" brought forth a smile. As did the idea of doing math for fun with the girls. Relish this happy time . . . I haven't been able to share math with my girls for years.

I agree with Nod about pool-swimming weather! That is why I will probably never dip my toes into outside water the entire time we live in England.

Nimble said...

Yes, I remind myself often that this is the fun part. We are so lucky.

95 today so the pool is a go!

Bee said...

95!! Goodness. You all go from winter to full-blown summer so quickly.

The Borrowers would probably be a good read-aloud for your girls. It is on my long list, but may not make the final cut. I'm trying to sample all of the genres, and there are just too many wonderful fantasy candidates. Btw, getting lots of good recommendations for English stuff that I didn't know about. Almost all of it fantasy.

And yes, do relish the days where your girl-children do not find it necessary to criticize you on an hourly basis.

Lucy said...

Are you quiet and like to go to bed early? I suppose that surprises me a little. Extreme theatrical lawn mowing my be just the thing you need!

Nice to do maths in that playful way, sounds good.