Friday, November 11, 2011

Bottom of the peanut butter jar

Trying to decide if I feel like a hungover grebe or coot this morning. (Oh my lord these coot babies are the ugliest things! Bright red bald pates like little frankenstein's monsters.) I remember watching the funny ugly coots at the Berkeley Marina. They seemed like grumpy little ladies in ratty black dresses. They have three toes instead of webbed feet; it's interesting to watch them pick their way along the rocks. They have an air of disapproval about them and generally don't look very deft. Coot it is!
Was there a kids choir rehearsal last night? I can't stop wondering. I took the kids to church last night with the snack I brought as a good participating parent. But no one was upstairs in the choir room and the lights were out. So we bagged and went to the library instead. Now I'm worried that the rehearsal was in the sanctuary and wish that we'd stuck our heads in to see if there was anyone over there. The urgency of these feelings is ridiculous and pointless. Let it go, brain.

I have done many things on my lists this week. And now I am tired and want to be done for a bit. But it's that time of year for more lists. I guess I could try delegating. I offered Katy a dollar to scoop the cat pan this morning. That worked okay. I wonder if Nod would do dishes/clean toilets for a dollar?

The kids are at the next door neighbor's house today. It's another in the long series of no school days in November. We had parent teacher conferences on Wed. We are lucky parents. I sometimes have felt close to tears when talking about my kids with their teachers. I am proud of them, I worry for them. Hell I feel some of the same feelings about the teachers too. What a vulnerable space school is. Nod was indulging in a big frosty glass of smug after our meetings. He said something about how we must not be doing too badly as parents. I told him to store that thought away for a rainy day. We have adolescence to come after all.

Katy is right on time being a tween now that she's turning ten. She's got her own fashion sense (all leggings all the time). She drives her teachers a little crazy because she works so fast and asks for more to do all the time. She saves her pointless defiance for us (flipflops are *too* shoes, I *know* I need to [do anything we remind her to do], etc.) But that's a minority of the time and cheerful competence reigns mostly. Crossing my fingers, knocking on wood.

Lexi my sweet cupcake is the easiest of all easies. Surprisingly she failed the eye exam at school. Earlier she failed her hearing test because she had a sinus infection. Guess that wouldn't affect your eyes. Noone's noticed her squinting or having trouble and she doesn't report any eye problems. She told me that she doesn't like eye exams so that may explain the inconclusive results there. I need to read the school nurse's note to see what hoops we need to jump through to get her retested. I will cheerfully purchase glasses for her if it is demonstrated that she needs them.

My MIL is trying to figure out how to be in two places at once over Christmas and new year's. She's been asked by both of her sons to come for the holidays. Nod won't return her calls this week (one of his less admirable traits). So last night she spoke with me and I tried to understand the problem. I gave her our dates and told her that we will love to see her whenever she can come: Christmas, new year's, or spring break when the weather might not be horrible. I can't solve it for her so I hope she can make a decision. And that Nod will call her back this weekend.

No comments: