Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sky joy

I saw the full moon setting in the western sky this morning. It was a white ball through the window, through branches. I wished I could go drive to a good vantage point and watch it all the way to the horizon. Instead I took a shower and herded my chicks and got on with the day.

Last week I came out of my building after work and saw the tail of the great sky peacock flying east. There was a wedge shape of clouds, narrow in the northeast widening over my head. It was lace made up of small puffs of clouds against a mauve sky making up the tail pattern. The clouds were picking up color from the just-set sun.

Last Friday I took the girls and a sleepover friend to the playground after dark. The moon was nearly full and we didn't need the big clunky flashlight we took. There were clouds moving around and a moonbow that came and went. At one point there was an oval opening through which I saw the three stars of Orion's belt. Impossible dream job -- getting paid to watch the sky. Exclusively on dry days and nights of course. Lexi suggested astronomy. I like looking at the atmosphere (as well as the heavenly bodies) and astronomers are generally trying to see beyond it. And I don't care enough about the mass of Saturn.

Back to earth
Everyone is bizarrely healthy this winter. Is it because the weather is so mild? Or have the kids gotten past their most germoriffic years? The act of writing this down may cause one or more of us to start suffering a viral attack. But it's too pronounced not to be noticed. Katy did have a big ugly cold sore on her lip over xmas break. I wonder where she got that bug. I don't think I have that particular herp. I guess we'll need to be more vigilant about shared cups and chapstick. Sorry kid.

Nod and Katy went mudlarking again down on the river sandbanks. They brought back some stones (we will never run out) and a rusty bolt that they said was a railroad spike. I spent that morning at home with Lexi in my pjs and enjoyed it quite a bit.

We were running late this morning as is often the case. I left the housekey in the deadbolt and told Katy to lock up and meet us at the car. But she came down the walk with unhappy noises coming out of her, she couldn't get the key out after locking. We are approaching a time when I will be willing to leave the girls at home by themselves for small stints. I think we need to have a key/lock practice session and see how that goes.

I'm reading a fantasy novel, Storm Constantine's The Crown of Silence. It's pretty good but may be not quite as entertaining as her name all by itself. Against my intentions I started with the middle book of a trilogy. Concerned noise.

No comments: