Thursday, March 29, 2012

Spring sprang

The redbuds are all out, some are shedding flowers and putting out light green leaves now. The daffs are about gone and the tulips just past their peak. It feels like summer or late spring really, highs around 80 and thunderstorms from time to time. I've dug up some of the mint in my porch pot and planted chive seeds. Go chives! It will probably be a fight again the mint all year, I knew it would be a bully in a pot. But hurray for plants that grow vigorously rather than haltingly.

Lexi loves her new glassses. I bought them from Zenni Optical online and they cost $35 and my mother tells me they may be unsafe (tests were done on some eyeglasses ordered from Chinese online stores and not all of them were shatterproof as required for kids glasses). So I am going to take L to Target Optical and buy her another pair of eyeglasses certified safe and ask them to fit these and verify the prescription and see what they say.

Katy got into a spat with a younger neighbor kid yesterday evening. She threw a ball at him (missed) and he threw a ball at her head (hit). Apparently it was his ball and he really didn't want anyone else using it. She was slightly hurt and massively angry about it. We offered to mediate but she said she would talk with him another day. La Furiosa is learning to let her storms subside before taking on the world.

My sweater looks like a sweater with four to six inches missing from the bottom. I sewed the neckline together. That step is not listed until the end but I couldn't stand looking at the raggedy pieces at the top any more. I tried crocheting it together first. That showed me that it would stretch enough to go around but it created a ridge inside the neckline so that was no good. Then I just sewed it per the danged instructions and it is a-ok. The good part is that it really looks like a sweater now. I laid it out with another sweater that actually fits me and I think it's looking good fitwise. The bad part is that all that's left to do is the boring knit around for another six inches of length. Ho hum. And the weather's warmed up so having a lap blanket as a project isn't very appealing. I want to finish it but I don't really want to do the work. To be continued. I have looked at ravelry.com again and have found a couple of craft/stichnbitch groups I may try to help me finish this sucker.

Nod is hatching a plan to get us to the beach on the Texas gulf coast in August before school starts. I am in favor of this project.

I am listening to the healthcare deliberations and trying not to desire an outcome. I think I can take comfort that the conversation is being had. I do not understand anyone who doesn't want to make healthcare available for EVERYONE. There is a great deal of human behavior that is benevolent that is not amenable to legislation. Amazingly enough considering the selfish human tendencies, many of us have a drive to take care of the sick, weak and unwell. That should be cultivated, allowed and encouraged.

Oh and the Final Four men's basketball game tomorrow is provoking plenty of buzz in town. There are plans for shutting Massachusetts Street downtown to cars if KU wins. People like to walk around and wooo! for a while after a big win. Expected to be bigger and wilder Monday night if they take the whole thing. We're going to try to go watch on Saturday night in Allen Fieldhouse. I've never been inside. I'm not a diehard fan but have soaked up more basketball enthusiasm while living in this college town. I may bring earplugs because I am a delicate flower and do not enjoy loudness for its own sake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hullo, the Neen!!

La Furiosa, eh? Cute. May she always be ready and willing to take on the mean boys.

I totally get it about basketball fever being contagious. I couldn't have cared less about bball before I lived in Indiana for 4 years, by the end of which I was a rabid and knowledgeable IU fan. Beware!

Stitch-bitchery--hurray! I hope you find a fun group to do this with. I work with a rabid knitter/crochetter, who has lately been making the most adorable toys for her nieces and nephews.

Speaking of groups and playing with adults, are you in a book club these days? There must be a group out there that loves British mysteries, and other Neenly delights.

For adult companionship and play, coming to be with me for a long weekend is always an open invitation!

Love you madly,
the Danish