Tuesday, August 21, 2012

In the press

It's the second day of classes on campus. My kids are enjoying their fifth school day of the year. I'm busy at work but not as overwhelmed as in past years. This position is not front line so I don't talk to students or faculty directly for the most part. It's a luxury that makes me a little uncomfortable. I feel like I should be helping all those teeming masses. Yesterday I did sit at an information table to help students find buildings and give them free planners, maps and water. That was jolly. Neon running shoes are in. Low or invisible socks are still the style for women. No one was wearing pyjamas (yet), they all had the first day of school buzz.
I have enjoyed The Magicians by Grossman so far but I am getting leery of our anti hero. He is a pathetic mess and I am not liking his friends much either. Now that they've gotten to the magical land I wonder whether the author is going to squish them rather than give them the safe adventure they were hoping for. I may go so far as to skim to find out.
I've picked up the second book in Robin Hobb's Tawny Man series and am chomping at the bit to start that one.
Lexi's hoodie is turning out to be a winner. I've used a pattern from Tracy Ullmann and Mel Clark's Knit 2 Together. Aside from one not very well explained neck detail, the pattern is totally working for me. The colors that Lexi chose are great. After I proposed some sober looking yarn she said "Mom, I like bright colors!" And so she does. We ended up with purpley/bluey self patterned and a bright raspberry for the sleeves. It's 100% cotton because I love the feel of cotton sweaters. Gen tells me that in a larger garment one needs to beware the dreaded cotton droop. But this sucker is small enough to get away with. The fit is not the greatest. I've got the sleeves about the right length but the torso is not only long but wide. Ending up with well fitting garments can be a goal for the future. I'm just happy they're wearable now. I asked Nod whether he wanted a sweater since I've produced one for everyone else in the family. I told him that I wasn't too keen because it would be so much bigger than the other garments I've made and because I didn't want to foist anything on him. He replied very diplomatically that when I want to tackle knitting socks he will wear those.

It's nice to have Missouri taking a turn in the national spotlight as the state with backward ignorant fudie politicans. Kansas appreciates it! We're just absorbing the news of a congressman who went skinny dipping in the Sea of Galilee while on an official visit. I like skinny dipping, Kevin, you don't need to apologize!

--------------
Finished with The Magicians now. The end of the action in Fillory was better than I expected. But I thought it was too literal a borrowing of the setting of Lewis's barrow under the stone table in Narnia. The very end of the book felt like it was tacked on. How weird that the magicians appear in mid air outside the office tower window as though they were superheroes. Which leads me to the disgression that one of my favorite silly action movies, Long Kiss Goodnight, is really about what it means to be a mother while being a superhero. (What does that title mean, anyway? It sounds so much like The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler. And this movie is not a noir at all.)

Finished sewing on the kangaroo pocket on the front of Lexi's hoodie last night. I will wash it and see if it fits any better after. I'm feeling very proud of it.

Has anyone else noticed Twitter not working right over the last couple of days? I don't twit myself but I look at a couple of people's streams. Right now I can only see tweets from the last 12 hours. The older ones never load. The completely inadequate message is "Loading seems to be taking a while.
Twitter may be over capacity or experiencing a momentary hiccup. Try again or visit Twitter Status for more information."  Of course there is nothing recent on Twitter Status to explain this. You tweeters, send a complaint for me!

No comments: