Friday, March 8, 2013

Appearances

Ganked entire from 3quarksdaily. It's short enough to be read in a rush and I can't choose just a bite...

Following Frida

That mono-brow wouldn’t work today. 
Girls wax the in-betweens, the ups and 
downs, smooth, smooth. Sometimes, 
the greenery around the hacienda 
itches so much we sneeze and tickle, 
create unnecessary frowns, a slippage. 
There’s always Dr. Death, of course, 
his bright smile, that happy mouth 
inviting us to pout and make kiss shapes. 
Kiss, kiss! Kiss, kiss! he urges. His short needle 
makes cushions of our worries. Little prick here, 
another there, there, there
it’s all right darlings, growing old
needn’t hurt so badly

The hairs remind us, marching to link brow 
to brow, shadowing our lips. 
We want to be Frida, earnest with hair, 
mocking Dr. Death's short needle 
before it punctures our flesh. 
Old, old! we shout the words he hates, 
loose and old, not tight and old! 
Senses, raging, in need of colour 
as we behold ourselves, mirror-wise, 
the women we always were, 
just older, looser, still there.
.

by Mary O'Donnell
from The Ark Builders
Arc Publications, Todmorden, 2009

Old, old! Loose and old! I like that. I'm thinking about how I look lately. It doesn't feel like vanity because any time I'm tempted to feel vain I get a look at my bulgy middle or my neck that isn't the same as it was. I'm not ground down by these flaws. They would have made me feel very ashamed in my 20s but I've lived through that and these things are earned. What shall I do with what I've got? How can I enjoy my own slight decrepitude?  

Mimi Smartypants linked to The Beheld which is good reading about beauty industry issues and self presentation. Still getting a feel for it. The links look amazing and include: Australian feminist, Jewish married women who cover their hair, size large fashionista. More to read.  

1 comment:

Lucy said...

Love your new banner!