Tuesday, April 9, 2013

That Week

From last Friday 4/5 to Monday spring cleared its throat and started singing. The forsythia was out last week. But it wasn't until Monday that I saw the pear trees covered in white blossoms on campus. There are tulip trees that are almost in full bloom. Yesterday I was driving down Tennessee and looking at the still bare tree branches. Then I passed one tree that is showing a green mist from the first new leaves. When I saw it I felt my shoulders relax. Didn't even know I was holding tension there. The henbit weeds are everywhere and need turning under. The gardeners were smug about Sunday night's rain that came after their work was done.

Smitten Kitchen is currently featuring a lentil and chickpea salad. Which sounds to me like a dish of virtue with some persistence on top. Speaking of virtue on a plate, I made corn and kale skillet cakes last night. Nod, Kat and I ate them out of the pan as soon as they had cooled enough for our hungry maws to chomp them. I made Bun eat one and it took her twenty minutes. I asked her toward the end if it was the taste or the texture she didn't like. She said taste. The look of mild disgust mixed with duty on her face as she ate it was hilarious. I paid for that humor at her expense by having to sit at the table until she was done. I gave her strawberries and kiwi after for staying the course.

Nod and I had a little face-off recently about Bun's eating. He gets really worked up about her not liking many of the things we eat. He was calling her a picky eater and said that she only likes cookies and ranting at the heavens about it. I told him that if he lectured her at every meal she would be sure to have emotional issues about eating. There has to be a more positive way of steering her toward healthy eating. I won't have her chided and shamed for her choices. I suppose my supervising her eating a portion of something I cooked isn't the 100% Positive solution, but it worked okay last night. I wish she could just live in her own little apartment and have scrambled eggs with toast and jam for dinner until she got sick of it. I guess we save that for the college years.

I've started Raven Black by Ann Cleeves. On the cover it self-identifies as "A Thriller". That term gives me pause but so far so good and next door neighbor Gen recommended the series.

Took the girls to see Oz the Great and Powerful on Sunday. I loved the opening credits. Everything about celeb-Franco creeps me but I don't think I've ever actually seen him act before. He did a fine job. It was entertaining if not very substantial. It did a more subtle job of playing between the movie and the books than I expected. Theodora as a wide eyed innocent was quite interesting. Wish we'd gotten more of that. Glinda was nuanced, not just a patsy or a pollyanna.

Lord, you need to read this Tom and Lorenzo entry about Robert Downey Jr.'s fashion failings. The reason it's a must see is their description of Johnny Depp who they contrast to RDJ thusly: Johnny Depp, who actually does have a well-cultivated personal style (even if it is self-consciously quirky and makes him look like an elderly gay windchime).
 
Could that be any more spot on or funny?

No comments: