Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chewing

Heard someone refer to the "smell of cordite" after fireworks last week. Realized that I'd heard the word before but didn't know what the difference between cordite and gunpowder was, if any. Hasty research revealed that cordite is a smokeless accelerant used instead of black powder by the British military through WWI and II and retired after that. Weirdly I followed this reference on wikip to soldiers and factory girls who chewed cordite to get high. It's mostly nitroglycerin which has a sweet taste. At least a few of them blew themselves up with too vigorous chewing. My friend Gen said she is often struck by what a foreign country the WWI era is. It's long enough ago that many basic assumptions were just different.

MIL is perkier and more settled now that she's in the assisted living place. I've been gently trying to triangulate between her and our bro and sis-in-law as to what's happening with the overseas travel. Nod wants to put it all off until next summer since E paid and there's at least a chance that she could go then. Sis-in-law (the driver in that relationship) wants to go this fall but to more modest lodgings. I haven't heard anything directly from MIL on the subject. I want there to be consensus or at least an accepted plan. I spot checked some tickets to Wales just for fun and $1200 a ticket left me snatching my hand back. Maybe later.

Reading a mystery novel set in Aix-en-Provence. The setting is the star and I like that part but I'm plodding through it waiting for the plot to lift me along. Our protagonist juge is not appealing to me at the moment either. Lots of fairly realistic French sexism which I think the author is trying to spin as romance? This book may just be too old fashioned for me. Good to know it's possible. I've started a Carl Hiaasen novel which is full of zoomy development as a foil. I find his sexism less problematic.

Pitch Perfect, I finally got to see the ending. I liked it. But why with the firehose vomiting? I know, if you have to ask then you just don't get it. That's me.




No comments: