Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Champagne Coffee or Pumpkin Cake

I am the hasty recommender. Here's a wonderful bit from Bizarre Victoria which seems to be a blog by a history grad student (no doubt I could read the 'about' section but then where would the mystery go?!):

Just a quick one today. I found this story in Barbara Holland's The Joy of Drinking.

"Frederick the Great of Prussia, in the eighteenth century . . . always drank seven or eight cups of coffee for breakfast, but he brewed it with champagne instead of water" (124).

That sounds just nasty. But I guess if you need to be really fast and really drunk at the same time, that's the way to do it.

This makes me laugh. 

From the frighteningly enthusiastic autumn lover, Unemployed Lawyer Mom, a link to a recipe for pumpkin yogurt cake which needs to be on my plate now.


1 comment:

Nimble said...

The pumpkin cake is very dense and wet. I turned off the oven and left the cake to finish so I could go on a bike ride. Maybe don't add the yogurt at all? and less oil? Despite the texture issue I love the taste, the kids liked it and I will make it again. I don't have "pumpkin pie spice" so used 2 t cinnamon, 1/2 t ginger, 1/8 t nutmeg.