Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Feathers

Still chewing on JB and his wizened, flinty, ass-kicking ways. I wonder what his scriptural basis for opposing slavery was? The book hasn't discussed that. Probably partially because it was assumed and partially because the author isn't interested in biblical justification. But he tells how JB referred often to Gideon and the Gileadites, some of those Old Testament warriors who had jwh on their side. The OT seems like it would agree with JB's basic personality type. Yet there was plenty of slavery in the OT. JB visited former slaves and freedmen and invited them to this home. He seemed to treat them with more respect than most of his fellow mid 19th century white folk including other abolitionists. I wonder if JB's anachronistic belief in the equality of all men regardless of skin color comes from the NT message that in Christ there is no Jew nor gentile, no slave nor free? Is it that simple? Perhaps I can find a book written on this subject but what I'd really like is a short essay.

On beyond pizza at home, here's CN's pasta for a crowd with crock pot tomato sauce recipe. Looks easy. Score!  http://benandbirdy.blogspot.com/2013/10/perfect-pasta-for-crowd.html

New name of wonder:  Shamoil Shipchandler, first name pronounced shame-oil. Heard a reference to them on Morning Edition and can't stop saying that name.

I received a postcard yesterday from my college friend who still likes to correspond via the mail. He made the postcard out of cardboard from a catfood box, a crow's feather and packing tape. I'm delighted to see that he liked my feathers and packing tape craft idea. It's so much fun to be mirrored and have someone else find amusement in my amusing thing. JLew is planning a wedding to his wonderful Jason in San Francisco, possibly for next July. I'm happy for him and also hope the party planning doesn't overstress them. Hellwiththat, I will raise a glass in anticipation of a good nuptials fiesta.


3 comments:

Zhoen said...

Chandler is a word with history. A candle maker, useful for ships, that branched out to sails and ropes and all sorts of shipping needs. Shipchandler would seem to be either an older form, or a back formation of some sort.

Nimble said...

Chandelier from the French I would guess (too lazy to look for etymology). I love the antique occupation surname with the middle eastern? first name.

Zhoen said...

I'm imagining a young sailor, perhaps an involuntary sailor, prone to too much seasickness, apprenticing himself to a chandler in a distant port, settling down, passing on his first name as a traditional family name…

Chandelier, where one puts candles.