Wednesday, February 5, 2014

About a foot

We got around 12 inches of snow yesterday. School and my workplace are closed for the second day in a row. I did the scramble with the other panicked fools on Monday evening: grocery store and gas station. It was crowded and there were some pixilated drivers out on the roads. I remembered to stay chill and give everyone some room. And even though I felt like an ant in the anthill you just stuck a stick into, I am so smug that I did those errands. We have milk and bread and can last through.



I think I will be going to work tomorrow. Not sure about school but it seems probable. Looming in front of me is my self-evaluation for work. I need to make at least a first draft today. It is a list of qualities that I am to rate myself on with comments. Despite putting it off for a few weeks, it has not done itself. I have to psych myself up to get to the peculiar neutral bragging tone that seems appropriate. I am great and this is how.

Middlesex, what a happy ending. The comedy/tragedy cufflinks lead into the ending which has both a consummation and a funeral. I was quite concerned, with a sick feeling in my stomach, that Calliope was going under the knife to be made a girl. 'It's going to be Hedwig and the Angry Inch all over!' thought I. But no. Dr. Luce was a well drawn character. I was glad that we finally found out why his brother's nickname was Chapter Eleven at the end. Can anyone explain to me why Chapter Eleven's nickname for his sister was the Great Salt Lake? On the same lines I was impressed that the Obscure Object of Desire was never named. That must have taken some fancy writing at times. Father Mike's leaving the rails was crazy, and distracting and unnecessary. Probably no more so than Jimmy Zizmo's disappearance and reappearance but I felt that was better woven into the whole piece.

We may be reading Lightning Rods next...


5 comments:

The Nag said...

We are having similar weather here today. I took a white knuckle ride to the bank and back and have decided to stay put until it's over.

Zhoen said...

Love the photo. Hate the evaluations. But then, everyone does.

Lucy said...

I really enjoyed Middlesex, but can't remember any of the details you mention or wondering about them. I can't think why he worried about girls not liking him once they found out.

That is a great photo, you are very brave driving in it.

amanda said...

i loved middlesex! and we are not getting any snow.

also, that comment you made on my blog last week was really, really kind. i thought a lot about it. about how i bring me, my values, what's important to me to work, and that makes my work valuable. translating what's positive about me into how i work makes a lot of sense. thank you.

Nimble said...

hi all. We're melted now, it's a relief. @ Amanda, you are welcome. Rock on!