Thursday, February 27, 2014

All Cat All The Time

The cat woke us every day at 4 - 4:30 am last week. She scrabbled noisily on the bottom of our mattress and one morning in a cardboard box in my closet. Just seemed to think it was time to get up and get going. Probably spring fever with the milder temps and more morning light. I didn't have any trouble getting back to sleep because 4am but Nod was motivated to acquire some new squirt guns as a response. We also shifted the cat's feeding time to later in the evening. And before a shot could be fired, the cat hasn't woken us again. Now I need to think about food amounts because she is chunking up under all that luxurious fluff. We have successfully gotten her to be an almost exclusively inside cat and it's not surprising that she's gained weight over time.

Zing likes to sit on a lap and purr her inaudible purr. She likes a little petting, but after a few strokes has had enough and will bite (fairly gently) or scratch. Her best spot to get rubbed is right underneath her tiny chin. This little area is where she wants all the friction. We enjoy each other's company especially if I have a book to read and can sit still for 10 or 20 minutes. I am often able to oblige.

I feed the cat first, before the dog when I'm putting down food for them both. This was initially to signal to the dog that the cat had precedence because she was here first. I wanted them to know that. Message received. Now if Nod puts meat scraps for Snickers (~45#) in the dog's bowl the cat (<10 first.="" get="" hers="" hilarious.="" over="" p="" right="" rushes="" to="" totally="">
The dog and cat have gotten more relaxed around each other. Despite some interest on both sides they still don't know how to play together. The dog was shaking a stuffed toy last week and the cat galloped up to her, didn't make contact and then zipped away again. Another time the cat was batting around an almond. The dog watched, ears pricked and clearly wanted to get the toy that the cat had. After the cat was done the dog edged her way around the room until she was equidistant from the nut and the cat. Not wanting to directly confront the cat, Snickers squeezed underneath a wooden chair to try and reach the nut. I laughed until the tears came watching her try to be tiny enough to go under that chair. Finally the dog delicately picked up the nut and carried it off. She chomped on the shell a couple of times and then I took it away from her. "The cat has it so I want it" seemed to be the message. Very much a sibling dynamic.

2 comments:

The Nag said...

Joyce starts up at 4am. When Mr. Nag worked in Toronto she wouldn't chase her tail, meow and bat my face until 7am because she knew I wouldn't get up. Now that he's retired she does it every morning. He gets up, feeds her, Skypes #1 Son in Australia and comes back to bed. By 8pm he's ready to hit the hay. Makes me crazy.

Zhoen said...

Oh, my.