Thursday, March 27, 2014

Say what?

Sexy wolf men are not so sexy in Book 2 as they were in Book 1. But it had me turning the pages. There is a third book listed in Goodreads but without cover art and I don't see it on Amazon. Curious. Selfishly, I hope they'll complete the arc.

Had a bout of miscommunication today. Once at work which required me to go hat-in-hand to my manager and request her diplomatic help. That seems to have been smoothed over. Then in email with the gifted teacher who was requesting a meeting. I didn't think we needed to meet because I thought he was talking about my other child. He straightened that out and we're on for Bun's review. I hope this doesn't come in 3s. Or that the third miscommunication is really funny. That would be worth it.

Posting a recipe because the only place I can find this is on a junky ISP website. (Tho' it brings back fond memories, I used to have free email with them.) I think the corn in the batter is optional. I like green onions best but a little cooked white onion is okay. I made these for lunch on Tuesday using chard instead of kale. I like to use the word 'fritter' when I make savory fried dealies like these for the family. My kids, especially the youngest, have a problem re-directing their expectations if they hear 'pancake'.

Corn Kale Skillet Cakes, adapted from Witch in the Kitchen by Cait Johnson

INGREDIENTS
1 cup flour
1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn
2 cups finely chopped, firmly packed kale
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons melted butter or olive oil
2 cups milk
2 green onions, diced  [or 1/2 cup minced onion, saute before adding to batter]
Butter or oil for frying
1. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, corn, green onion and kale.
2. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs, melted butter or oil, and milk to combine. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix briefly.
3. Heat butter or oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, if using, and saute until golden.
4. Add the sautéed onion to the batter, mix again, then drop about 1/4 cup batter per cake into the hot skillet, adding more oil or butter as needed to keep cakes from sticking. Cook until cakes begin to bubble, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook until the other side is golden, 1 or 2 minutes longer. Serve warm.
Serves 4-6.

No comments: