Thursday, May 8, 2014

Turnips and Greens

The Spontaneous Tomato technique for cooking kale sounded good. (Short version: saute garlic in oil, add chopped greens, stir to coat then add some water and cover, steam 10-15min., S&P.) I tried it with our chard/kale/spinach mix Nod brought in from the garden. Less steaming time since this stuff is young and tender, I added the spinach halfway through and finished with a splash of balsamic vinegar. It was delectable and reminded me -- in the best possible way -- of how much I loved canned spinach when I was a kid. I also made mac and cheese from the box and they were pretty much a match made in heaven. Then I mowed grass and then I had intestinal distress. Done now but I feel tired this morning. I don't blame those greens but perhaps the microgreens I put on a sandwich? They looked tired.

I'm sorry to say that I'm having trouble getting through the third E Bear novel in her Eternal Sky trilogy. Even after the dragon showed up it's still requiring effort to turn the pages. The dragon encounter reminded me of the Avatar series and its lion turtle. Although these dragons are more petty and snarky, more like European fantasy dragons. The narrative has slowed as we prepare for the Final Confrontation with the big baddie. Much too by the numbers, harrumph.

I wonder what I'll bring to read while we're traveling. Nod and I have to get our budget agreed on. I have to talk with the bank and the credit card to let them know we'll be spending overseas. And a thousand more things. I'm also getting a head start on worrying about the dog. Sigh.

Willa Cather's One of Ours is the next book group selection. I will probably end up liking it but going in, it sounds like a plate of turnips.


No comments: