Friday, November 21, 2014

Dumplin

Fri
I include Wednesday's notes to appreciate the sheer power of the tedium. Early to bed, crankiness and a trip to the pharmacy. What's next, tax returns? (No, Nod does those.)

Watched an episode of Buffy last night with the girls. (Season 1, cheerleading try outs) It has a very Twilight Zone ending. Kat just watched the entire last season of How I Met Your Mother and it's fun to see the young Allison H after that. Season 1 of Buffy seems pretty cartoony. Waiting for the compelling part.

Having trouble staying on task at work. Also questioning how much I want to be associated with our department. The team's fine, it's the department that's crazy. Not many jobs advertised right now, guess that's something to look at in the new year. I don't feel like I need to storm out. But I do want to know what's available.

Chicken and dumplings last night. Turned out great even with a sad lack of onions. (How could I run out of onions?!) I even fried a couple of dumplings by themselves for the vegetarian. She was appropriately thankful. I cook good. I've linked that recipe before. It's the butter roux and the butter in the dumplings that makes the deliciousness, of course.

Quite a book cover on Elizabeth Bear's latest. I like her very much and expect good things. I admire the image she got for this one.


Wed
Dog not showing other symptoms, less of what had me concerned, seems happy enough. Still keeping an eye on her.

Waiting to pick up prescription refill at the pharmacy is not my favorite way to spend time. Seems like someone is always having to negotiate a tricky piece of personal information (change of address, new credit card, doctor's office instructions different than person expected). Sometimes it's the people in front of me, sometimes it's me. Only burnt up 7 or 8 minutes of my life there last night.

Nod made a small fire in the fireplace. It was pretty but I have ceased to enjoy a fire in the fireplace when the outside temp is less than 30F. I can almost see the furnace-heated air going up the chimney. The embers are very pretty but then you have to wait for it all to go cold before you shut the damper. I am a terrible horrible spoilsport.

I took my spoilsport self to bed at 8:30pm last night because I kept falling asleep over my book. Remembered that I had been up at 5:30 but still it seemed excessive. Even though I was on the next-to-last chapter of my cheesy Turkish mystery I had to turn the light out just past 9pm.



No comments: