Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Set it down gently

We're having bitter cold weather now which means good snuggling conditions. It should be warmer for the rest of the week and it sounds like snow will be coming by the weekend.

I've got some stuff done on my work projects that were a-stressing me. Part of this seems to stem from a relationship with a supervisor that is tripping some of my mom-wires. Nothing intentional, just something I will observe and try to de-fuse for the future.

It's the end of the year, time to talk about books. There's a few more days to enter a drawing for a new book by Elizabeth Bear.  I like her and I really like the cover art:

torbooks:

Enter on Goodreads for a chance to win an ARC of Karen Memory by Elizabeth Bear.
 


My favorite reads of the year (although I feel badly for the ones I'm leaving out):
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Forever Rumpole: The Best of the Rumpole Stories by John Mortimer
Half Magic by Edward Eager
The Old Home Place: The Story of a Kansas Farm by Joy Lominska (about a small farming region near here)
Bomb: The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
Claire DeWitt and the Bohemian Highway by Sara Gran
The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
Plus two three some genre series in particular: the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch (oneI haven't read yet!), the Medicus books by Ruth Downie, the Siobhan Quinn series by Kathleen Tierney, and the Mercedes Thompson books by Patricia Briggs.


A very happy new year to you. May it bring good books and the comfort in which to read them.





No comments: