Tuesday, February 17, 2015

On A Knit Roll

Sunday afternoon I got out the pieces of the sweater that I had knit in the fall of 2012. I had two lovely sleeves and a lower torso tube. The next phase of the pattern was to join them together and knit to the neckline. But I could never grok the pattern's instructions in order to move in that direction. I read them over and over. I cussed. I asked an expert-level knitting friend to look at them, she wasn't sure. I chewed on this for a while and then I put the pieces away in a bag for two years. When I looked them over last weekend I still liked the yarn; the color and the feel. I still liked the ribs. It was time to take another run at it. Maybe I could fake the join and continue on with the pattern after that row. I joined and unjoined about three times with so much cussing and then holycrap I got a sleeve attached!! So exciting. I would never recommend the pattern but I think I understand what is meant now. Three dimensions is many. One armpit has a bit of a hole caused by misplacing my first raglan stitch. But it is a small price to pay for going from dismembered limbs to a joined up sweater. I will see if I can fix it with a crochet hook when I get around to that spot again. If not I plan to fill it in with a little darning and never look back. We're having snow and cold this week. I am lucky to have a fluffy cat and a sweater on the needles.

Kat got behind at school last week with homework she missed while sick. She couldn't make it up during the week because of play practice. Tension built up into stress and tears on Thursday. I started with fixit mode and then realized that the first step was listening to the distress. She is picking up responsibilities and is not used to not being able to fulfill them. I encouraged her to write an email to the math teacher right then to ask for help and time. She did and got a response later the same night. Important to know that most teachers want to help, want to be asked. The play is done after Feb and I hope K will enjoy her free-er schedule.

The smart phone experience is mixed. I worry that K is on hers too much of the day especially into the night. Bun is on mine a lot playing a sooper dumb and sooper irresistible Frogger-ish game. K tells us it's all the rage at middle school. I have played it a lot too (but knitting is winning right now). The power gets drained quickly. I haven't yet learned how to set the reminder tone for the calendar items to something I can actually hear. But I do feel more in the mainstream. I wish there were more choices and that dumb phones were being supported better. The technology churn rate bugs me and it's getting faster while I'm getting slower. My young device consultants will only be at home for another few years and then Nod and I will be alone with these expensive inscrutable things.

Niagara Falls is somewhat frozen right now.

A partially frozen American Falls in sub freezing temperatures is seen in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada,  Feb. 17, 2015.



1 comment:

Zhoen said...

After a certain point, it's all patch, patch, patch. People, sweaters, software, whatever.