Friday, February 13, 2015

Rose carmethene

Here comes Valentine's Day, a holiday notable for a) elementary school obligations, b) marketing manipulation, and c) the idolization of heterosexual coupledom. I gather I should wait, trembling with demure anticipation, for my hunky man to present me with flowers/chocolate/diamonds or that we should demonstrate our bond with a high-end restaurant appearance. Fat chance, suckers! (I am still pro chocolate.)

The release of the 50 Shades movie has irritated me because of the public radio ad for a 50 Shades teddy bear that comes with accessories. In addition it's easy to look down at the book primly rather than as a crummy example of bdsm erotic writing. Happily, Anthony Lane has taken these lemons and made some really funny lemonade. From the metafilter discussion of Lane's review:

But then I found out that the series ends by her curing of him of BDSM by loving him so much she turns him vanilla (and that he was only BDSM in the first place because he was abused as a child), and WHOA NOW THIS IS SOME FUCKED UP SHIT. Because for one thing, that is retroactively turning everything titillating in the first novel into something that THE AUTHOR thinks you should be ashamed of being titillated by. Something that, according to the story itself that frames these sexual encounters (but isn't revealed to you until you've already had your erotic enjoyment of them), is the product of the criminal abuse of a child, whose sexual predilections are not normal, natural, or healthy, but rather a deviant result of abuse -- which is cured and fixed by having a virginal female savior (ANASTASIA) JUST LOVE HIM HARD ENOUGH.

Now for something completely different.  Here are the lyrics to Donovan's Wear Your Love Like Heaven because I need to look at them from time to time:

Colour in sky Prus-sian blue
Scarlet fleece chan-ges hue
Crimson ball sinks from view

Wear your love like heaven
    (Wear your love like)
Wear your love like heaven
    (Wear your love like)
Wear your love like heaven
    (Wear your love)
Lord, kiss me once more, fill me with song
Allah, kiss me once more that I may, that I may
Wear your love like heaven
    (Wear your love like)
Wear your love like heaven
    (Wear your love)
 La la, la la la, la la la, la la la

Colour sky Hava-na lake
Colour sky rose car-methene
Aliza-rian crimson

-chorus-

Can I be-lieve what I see
All I have wished for will be
All our race proud and free

-chorus-

1 comment:

Zhoen said...

My D tells me he saw an interview with the lead actors in 50, and they obviously loathe each other. Sounds like hell to me.