Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Greens and Comment Vivre

Salad greens: it's either feast or famine, isn't it? We either eat them as soon as they come in the house and then pout when there aren't any more. Or we let them sit in the refrigerator and become a little rubbery before throwing them into something to get them used up before slime sets in. But the radishes I'm eating as soon as they get out of the ground. I've been sauteeing the greens with olive oil and garlic. No one likes them but me so I get to be greedy. The radishes themselves are very mild as we haven't had any warm weather to speak of.

I've been thinking about the global economy and fiction. I aspire to shabby gentility. I am a semi-intellectual who enjoys the simple life. To maintain this way of life I look for ways to not be consumed by the effort of making a living. I want to nurture my family, have some contact with both art and nature, and be in my community. Working is a good thing (social contact, learning, validation, feeling useful, paying bills, insurance) but I have little ambition and if I could do less of it I would. I hear about the current state of entry level jobs and the steeply rising cost of education and the growing wealth gap. All of these things make me think that it is hard to be a young American person now and not be ground down by the economy. It sounds harder than in the past, or is that golden age thinking? I hope that my kids will be able to find joy in the cracks somehow. But I'm not sure how to advise them. Fiction factors in because it can be a comfort against the large existential dread of considering these forces out of my control. I realize there is a particular kind of fictional development that pleases me, a happily-for-now description of friends and family and resources that allow for a rich life lived under the radar. I wonder if it is a complete fantasy. Perhaps in the long term. But I do believe it's a state that can be found in short bursts.

A vigorous article from David Simon on the future of the American economy and society. I appreciate his identifying a core question, are we all in this together? We are, and none of us get out of here alive.

Kat went to her schoolnight concert last night. I still can't believe I agreed to this back in December. It just seemed like a world away at that point. I told her I would pick her up at 11p, hell or high water or endless encores be damned. Happily their encores were many but were wrapped up before the hour of doom. I picked up a very happy, excited kid.


Notes from a few days ago that I may as well throw in here:
As Shalini once said, the secret to happiness is giant underpants. I bought some extra large the other day and have never been more content with my underpinnings. Good thoughts and good books to her wherever she is.

Brahma the creator, Vishnu the preserver and Shiva the destroyer or transformer. Hindu trimurti, three aspects of the divine. Although according to linked page it is not a current form of worship but something from the past. Brahma is not now widely worshipped according to that site. News to me!

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

A good class on decision making, critical thinking, a maker fair or two, general health and some sort of creative outlet, is about as good a training for an unseeable future as anything. Especially when coupled with a fairly rigorous education.

Well fitting underpants really are essential.

Nimble said...

:) I'll definitely add well-fitting underpants to the list of important life strategies to tell my kids. I'm feeling a little apocalyptic about education this week. My state's government is doing what it can to hollow out the education standard we moved here to partake of.