Monday, April 6, 2015

Return

A poem posted at 3quarksdaily reminds me of my resolution:  ring.

I Saw Myself

I saw myself
a ring of bone
in the clear stream
of all of it

and vowed,
always to be open to it
that all of it
might flow through

and then I heard
”ring of bone” where
ring is what a

bell does


by Lew Welch
from Ring of Bone, Collected Poems 1950-1971
Grey Fox Press, 1979


I found a turtle carcass on my holiday. We went out to a lake to see the greening, the returned buzzards and such. Nod was scheming for fishing spots. He doesn't actually have the patience to fish but he loves to try and figure out where the best spot to catch a fish might be. The wind was cold but the sun compensated us for it. I caught sight of a white shell underside on a hillside. The skull and leg bones were around it, all very clean and without connecting stuff. The skull is quite snaky looking. I brought it home, shell and skull, and am still having second thoughts about removing it from its ecosystem. It's lying now by our yellow tulips in the front.

Complicated relationship tango at the moment. People I want to keep involved with. I want to keep the correct tension with both other players. I won't block but may deflect.

No comments: