Monday, October 19, 2015

Lessons Learned

Blue dome
An afternoon at the farm to pick pumpkins was the fulfillment of another successful family tradition. The sunlight, bright blue sky and breeze were delectable. Nod thinks that if he had a few acres he'd like to have a bungie cord slingshot setup as well. I think I'd like to have a hammock. All that sunlight made me feel like napping.

It's gonna get you
Days are getting shorter and the darkness is coming! At the stoplight on my way to work Friday I looked up to see a streetlight as it switched off. First time I've seen that in a while, shiver.

Sunset color
October is the orange season and I could eat it up with a spoon. Pumpkins, leaves, the slanted afternoon light. Our neighbor's new couch is orange and I covet it. She got it at the big blue warehouse so we might copy. Nod stretched out and put his feet up on the ell and said he hadn't been that comfortable in a while. If we install that couch we may have to use a spatula to get him off it. Our front steps is full of pumpkins. The forecast is for high 70s all week so we'll wait to carve until at least the weekend. Stay away from our decorative gourds you poxy squirrels!

Tall boy
Met an akita at neighbor's party. He was low key and friendly, on the extremely civilized end of the doggy continuum. Which is good because he's so tall he could just eat the chips and dips off the dining table.

Thin ice
My most delicate social opportunity of the moment is waiting for me to set up a time to meet. I'm avoiding and it's dumb. Either do or do not.

Or not
Reflecting on how contrary my spouse is he countered that I had plenty of Contradicta in me as well. Nod:  "..the way that you will argue with everything I say." Nimble: "I don't think that's entirely true." and then buckets of laughter in the car as I realized what I'd done. Quite right, it's arguing that will keep you alive. 

Missing that certain something
Made Broccoli Cheddar soup Monday evening. It was all right but seemed innocuous and like it was missing something. As I was washing the dishes I realized what it was: cheddar. I had made the soup and forgotten the cheese. 

No comments: