Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Greening in the dark season

Mint in a pot, on our dryer, by the one and only south-facing window in the whole house. I may put the Christmas cactus out here as well to get the light. The mint came as fresh herbs in our farm share allotment several weeks ago. I've been meaning to plant some since March. It is one of the most tenacious plants so I shouldn't be surprised that it promptly rooted in water. Nonetheless, I am ridiculously pleased to see it in the potting soil now. I hope it will survive the winter.

I would like a set of paperbacks for the entire Tiffany Aching series. But I can't have it yet, the last book was just published in hardback. I wonder how fast the publishing cycle is these days. Would a paperback be available nine months after the hardback release? Will make a note to check and order for birthday present if so.

Don't forget to clean your waffle maker!

Heard part of an interview with Audrey Niffenegger on the radio last Friday. She's flogging a collection of ghost stories so they were running the interview the day before Halloween. I have mixed feelings about The Time Traveler's Wife and didn't expect much from her. But an idea of hers got to me. She said that many people had told her of their experiences with ghosts and she developed the idea that ghost phenomena could be thought of as an emotional echo chamber. Things that can't be finished and things that can't be expressed are terribly powerful. This felt true to me. I don't believe in ghosts but can believe in the power of unexpressed or mutated grief.



5 comments:

Joolie said...

I read the Time Traveler's Wife a while ago and I remember it was really unsatisfying. It would draw me in for long stretches and then repel me completely. It was recommended so widely and enthusiastically at the time that it's validating to see someone else was iffy about it too.

Zhoen said...

I got Wee Free Men in an illustrated edition at the library. So wish I'd bought it then, the little guys were scrambling all over the text.

Lucy said...

I just started writing a comment about 'The Time Traveller's Wife' but it got long and unwieldy so I cut it and thought I might use it on mine. Only to say I quite enjoyed it, but thought her next one 'Her Fearful Symmetry' which is sort of about ghosts, was the most atrocious, repellent, unconvincing, time-wasting book I've read for a long time. I still feel cross when I think about it!

I liked your posts with the headings. Good luck with the mint.

Nimble said...

I had the expereience Joolie described of being drawn in by TTT'sW and compelled by the story and then finding some event that pushed me out of it. The miscarriages did it for me for sure.

The mint looks smug so far. Cut and then rooted and repotted, it's about the best thing a fresh herb could hope for. I looked but don't see an obvious way to hang the christmas cactus pot yet.

Lucy said...

TTW: The conceit and the structure of it was clever and intricate and held together, which was quite a feat, and I did have the sense that there was possibly some meaning behind it. However, I didn't like the characters much at all really. I felt uneasy about the adult him preparing the child her (forget their names) for his advent in her life, which smacked a bit of grooming. If it was a metaphor for a dysfunctional relationship subject to a crippling chronic condition in one partner, the idea of her waiting helplessly for him while he was periodically taken away and slowly destroyed by that condition, but that love and the idea they were each other's destiny, and the making of a child somehow redeemed it, was also problematical. And yes, the miscarriages were horrid.

We just about keep Christmas cactus alive. They look ready to die about once a year, and drop loads of leave, but then revive.