Friday, November 13, 2015

Wind and muffins

Gusty winds up to 45 mph were intermittent through Veterans' Day. Leaves spun in dust devils or were launched upward when the air waves hit. I jogged with the wind at my back and then got to push against it going home. Glad to be wearing glasses to keep the leaf grit out of my eyes.

11/12 noticed that I had fresh mosquito bites on my neck. Gradually realized there were no mosquitoes. Looked at cat for fleas, no sign. It dawned on me that these itchy things are hives. No laundry soap change lately. Antibiotics? Grr.

From a post with 5 different apple cake recipes. I don't remember seeing this phrase before: 'légère comme une plume'. It's exactly the same construction as the English 'light as a feather'. But it feels totally fresh to me. It reminds me of a young woman I met in Paris who was studying Arabic. She told me about the men who catcalled her in Egypt. She said it was always done quietly and they called her 'Moon' and 'Honey'. 'Miel' is not an endearment in French so it sounded inventive and charming to her.

I have extra cottage cheese and I want to make this recipe for Cottage Cheese Muffins. My American measurement translation of the recipe:

INGREDIENTS

scant 3/4 cup (2.8 oz) wholemeal flour
heaped 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) plain a.p. white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Pinch of sea salt
scant T (0.35 oz) chopped butter (cold)
1 egg
scant T (0.4 oz) semi skimmed milk
1/3 cup (2.3 oz) cottage cheese
Small handful of fresh parsley (chopped)
1/4 cup (0.5 oz) strong cheese (grated)

DIRECTIONS
~ Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.

~ Mix the flours, salt, paprika, baking powder and mustard in a bowl. Rub in the butter.

~ In a separate bowl, beat the egg and mix in the milk along with the parsley and cottage cheese. Gently stir the mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined.

~ Pour into the prepared tins or muffin cases and sprinkle with the cheese and a little sea salt. Bake in the middle of the oven for around 17-20 minutes, until the tops are a lovely golden brown colour.



No comments: