Thursday, January 21, 2016

Waving weakly

Oof
First week of classes is tromping on us. The pace hasn't been terrible but it's compounded by losing our team lead. The rest of us are getting her responsibilities parceled out. It remains to be seen if we can complete them and how well.

Flaky
Weather is icy and snowy and it's beautiful to see the snowflakes fly. Wonder if I'll ever be a lady of leisure who can admire them and put on the kettle rather than having to see them out the office window. Counting blessings and wondering about the modern world of work. Don't suppose scrimping would be enough to give up the rat race scramble. At least until the offspring are sprung.

End of the road
Just finished Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? and followed it up with an article about an Australian couple in their early 80s who chose suicide as an alternative to dwindling in assisted care. Lots to think about: quality of life, relationships across generations, personal agency and control.


2 comments:

Lucy said...

I only lately started going through my old teaching stuff and throwing a lot out, it felt good. No kids, no mortgage, adequate pension income for us both, a relaxed and quiet home life which nevertheless places enough demands to assure me I'm a fairly useful and necessary person, I'm happy enough without the working world, which I think probably cost as much in petrol and car bills as it brought in anyway. Yet I feel I have forfeited full claim to adulthood, and am embarrassed to tell people like you, especially other women, that I don't work outside the home and live, essentially, on my husband's income. I thought I would have more time for friends and outside interests, but in fact find rather that the less I interact with the world the harder it is to do so. But that's only me and my situation, and not necessarily representative of anything.

Still, it's nice not to have to go out on winter mornings.

Nimble said...

I encourage you to let go of any embarrassment. I aspire to join the happily retired! It does take a certain amount of psychic oomph to inflict oneself on the world. If you aren't required to do it every day I can imagine that it gets harder. I remember earlier in life when I would get anxiety about having to interact with strangers on the phone especially. Having to do so on behalf of my family doesn't seem nearly so personal nor so fraught and has given me lots of practice. I wonder when empty-nesting sets in if that anxiety will come back. Hopefully I've clonked it on the head for good.