Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Crow or Raven?

This Let's Go Exploring page has a good list of distinguishing marks to look for. I didn't realize that ravens have a tail with a point in the center rather than the crow's more fanlike tail.

This http://authormarycsimmons.com/2013/10/31/whats-a-corvus/ also has a nice graphic that shows the tail shape difference:


I live in a region that only has crows so we know if we see a really big black bird that it's a big crow, not a raven. I miss the ravens of Los Alamos, New Mexico. They perch in the ponderosa pines and play in the wind currents at the edge of the mesas. And eat garbage out of dumpsters and make a bunch of noise sometimes. I'll have to ask my mother if she ever sees ravens in Albuquerque. I don't remember seeing them there. I assume they prefer the mountains and high mesas.

The Cecil Younger series by John Straley includes some very good Alaskan raven descriptions. I had a wonderful hilarious time reading aloud to my kids all the Joan Aiken's Arabel and Mortimer books as I could find. Mortimer the raven seems like an only slightly exaggerated character even though he eats a staircase at one point. I need to look for some more fiction with raven characters.

-------------
You may enjoy this article from The Toast about the comfort in a Penzeys Spice catalog. Retreating from the news into a gentle alternate universe.

------------
Tulips are edible. It sounds like only as a last resort. I never knew. A link from Eat the Weeds via Kingfisher Feathers. The petals are edible raw or cooked and the bulb (peeled and with the center bit removed) can be eaten cooked. But I also learned that tulip allergies are common, florists and tulip workers can experience 'tulip fingers'.

------------
I like the crow and raven graphic so much I'm tempted just to update down here for a while. Linking to another cheater veggie lasagne recipe. Sounds good!

David Lebovitz recipe for orange syrup cake. Oh my lord. Only if I can acquire 4 organic oranges, 1 organic lemon and 3 cups of sliced almonds.

1 comment:

Zhoen said...

I'm still trying to figure out if we have crows or ravens here. The differences are not apparent to me, even in the calls. Ah, well.

Heard a story, during the tulip mania, a beggar is eating an onion, that turns out to be (or had been) a very expensive tulip bulb.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania