Friday, April 29, 2016

Weeds

Sticky Willy
Also known as Cleavers and Galium aparine to be scientific about it. I discovered it in our backyard last night while picking up before mowing the grass. Every bit of it has hooks to cling to you so I had to get gloves to pull it up. The Cleavers name refers to the way it disintegrates when pulled. You cannot pull it up by the root. Frustrating! This piece from the Austin paper taught me the Sticky Willy name and is pretty entertaining. I can't imagine gathering enough of the teeny burrs to roast and brew into a coffee substitute. I would just switch to tea.

Time
I wish I could read faster so I could read more books. But then each book wouldn't last very long at all so maybe I don't. I'm currently reading The One From the Other in Phillip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series. From a review blurb I learned that he wrote this one 15 years after the first three. The first ones are hard to beat for their air of menace in pre-war and post-war Berlin. I'm riveted to this one but Bernie sure let himself be led along the garden path for the first half. The chickens are coming home to roost now and he's just gotten himself smuggled out of Vienna...

Morning
No healthful exercise this week. I hope I can climb back on the horse. Once the inspiration evaporates it's hard to reconstitute it again. Nod reminds me that I 'get to' exercise, a privilege not a punishment. Yeah, but.

Invasion
6th grade sleepover tonight. It should be an okay deal. I'll feed them and get out of their way. I hope my husband has his ear plugs handy.




5 comments:

Minnie said...

Galium is the stickiest plant I've ever met. Spent Tuesday afternoon pulling it out of the day lily bed, then found it had spread throughout the back yard. So I pulled as much of that as I could find, too. Last year I yanked it too late to prevent the seeds from dispersing. As you point out, it breaks easily at every node. Doubt I got many roots. Perhaps my best attack would be to brew up some of that Spring tonic.

Nimble said...

Ha! Last year I remember noticing it and wondering what it was and whether it was going to flower or do anything interesting. So I guaranteed a good crop this year. Now I feel more confident about recognizing it so I'll snatch it out wherever I see it. The word tonic makes me think of borage, I wonder if I could get some of that growing...

Minnie said...

Yep. My curiosity as to what that funny little plant would do was my downfall, too. Borage should grow for you there and probably will self seed.

Anonymous said...

I read the first heading of this post and was going to chime in with all my Sticky Willie knowledge that I had gained from...the exact same article you posted! Anyway, it's nasty stuff and makes my hands and arms angry and red if I forget the gloves.

Joolie said...

Oh, yeah, that was me; hit enter too soon. Hi!