Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Summer striving

Too good not to share
Description of games and competitions at an 1826 fair in Hungerford England. My favorite is the backswording event: a man's left arm is tied to his side and he is given a stout stick to wield in his right. Win by making your opponent bleed from the head! I'm sorry about the duck and the owl. In case time travel is invented I want to make it clear that I wouldn't want to actually go to this fair. I do like Dr. Beachcombing's history offerings and how he refers to himself in the third person.

Adieu
Rabbits are gone from the front. Either maturity or mortality has had an effect and I don't want to know. Maybe it's time to dig up this hole and return it to lawn. Surely that would reduce the bunny-nesting siren song of our front yard.

Warming
Sweated out by a fire last night and sang some songs to welcome in the summertime. I guess I need to learn the old 'sumer is a cumen in' or something else seasonally appropriate as we do like to mark the corners of the seasons. Casual pagans are we. The grass is a little shriveled and we are watering the plants we want to live. My borage tipped over and is horizontal. Still flowering though so I'll keep watering and hoping. Maybe it'll reseed at least. The plants that Nod bought at the farm store on Sunday are enjoying themselves in our living room. Maybe they'll get in the ground by week's end.

My walking speed in the heat is much reduced and the parking lot at work is being resurfaced and I'm a couple minutes further away and everything takes longer than in the cooler months.

Making the scene
I've been out late the last two weeknights and that shit's gotta stop. Maria BAMF Bamford was really wonderful and her opener, Jackie Kashian was an excellent surprise. We're still repeating some of Jackie's bits especially on the pursuit of the 'pointy' body. Here's an NYT Magazine piece on Maria that is admiring but a bit leaden. She is such her own flavor.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Two words: Lady Dynamite. Maria Bamford's weird and wonderful tv series. Shocking and funny, surreal and vulnerable, and odd....we loved it. Season 1, ep 2 'Bisexual Because of Meth' is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
-the Danish