Tuesday, September 20, 2016

At a remove

I've been reading British authors, which is not a surprise. But these most recent two books have both got me feeling the distance between me and the narrators which is more surprising. Both of them have child narrators: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and A Man at the Helm. I found Curious had me tense on behalf of Christopher. I just never felt he was safe. The book gets high marks for its world view and the revelations of the first half. The end was more family soap opera than dramatic development. I think I secretly wanted there to be an unrealistically hopeful development for Christopher. It's for the best that didn't happen.

I'm not finding Man as funny as I think I'm meant to. Perhaps if I imagine it as a Wes Anderson film...

Adding to the list of things I didn't find funny recently:  A Bit of Fry and Laurie, season 1 and Broad City, the pilot. I did like watching some of the Fry and Laurie but.. that'll do me. Broad City is apparently not aimed at me. Maybe if I smoked more pot? To console myself and remember that I do sometimes find things funny, I will point out that Patton Oswalt's Talking for Clapping had me crying with laughter.

Hot and humid this week as we slide over the equinox. When I came out of the grocery store last night I even had my glasses fog over a bit. I just read that 'equinoxes' is a pig-ugly construction but I don't think equinoctes is any improvement. I'm looking forward to a cool down on Sunday but I should probably just assume it's going to be like this for the next two weeks and then I can be happily surprised when it switches. (Come on crisp mornings!!)



------------------
Updated to add that I finished A Man at the Helm last night and it was very satisfying. The book managed to make me lose all patience with the mother and then start over as she started over. I like the narrator telling us she wished that it could have been just her mother at the helm but that all humans need someone(s) in their corner.

3 comments:

The Nag said...

I liked "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" so much that I went to London to see the play.

Nimble said...

What an excellent adventure that must have been.

Nimble said...

And a bit ironic considering how much Christopher did not enjoy his trip to London!