Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Gamesmanship

What a nice white rectangle this space is before I type anything. A good place to contemplate the void until the chatter begins.

The Band Day parade is Saturday and it starts at 8:00am. As an early bird I think this is exciting but I wonder if the turnout will be low. The weather forecast is nice, clear and high in the 70s so we don't have to watch the high schoolers roast in their marching uniforms.

Problematic ball game season is here! My oldest kid is excited for the NFL season to start, she says that's her favorite professional sport. I like watching it too even though I worry about the players' brains and deplore the all-American sexism and war cult. We talk a lot about how messed up the whole racket is. I feel better about enjoying baseball since it's mostly non contact and seems more human although professional players are the 1% of the 1% in their sport.

We've watched a lot of Alton Brown's Cutthroat Kitchen which is sort of like Chopped without the teary bio pieces on the competitors, complete with sad music and sometimes tears. I appreciate AB's no-hug policy for his show. It is a ridiculous and absurd competition which does not reward planning ahead but rather luck and I guess persistence. It makes me realize how we humans are usually ready to play a game. What are the rules? How do I engage with you? We are some weird primates, man.

All hail Smitten's pizza recipe! I finally made it and lo, it was fab. Totally worth using up a 28 oz. can of whole tomatoes. I just made cheese, didn't even try to zip it up with exciting toppings. I still like my dad's hamburger and veggie pizza recipe (more cornmeal in the crust). But this is a good addition to the repetoire.



No comments: