Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Holy shit

From misteraitch on Metafilter, a playlist of string quartet pieces. Quartets for the Morning After. Haydn consolation sounds about right.

I would like to believe that I'm living and working in a country that is addressing climate change, making steps to support the most vulnerable members of our population, and moving away from having the highest prison population in the world. Failing that I would like to believe that I share with the leaders of my government a respect for the rule of law. Neither seems to be true today. The next six months are the great unknown. I expect we losers are overestimating the changes that may happen in the short term. But as far as the long term goes this degrading election process may have been the signal of a great change. I hope I'm wrong and the parallels I see with the late Roman Empire are a histrionic exaggeration.

I am embarrassed, ashamed and insulted by the election result. I still feel queasy when I imagine DJT taking the oath of office. I wonder what else I could have done. I think I need to go to church on Sunday. Sorry to come cry on your shoulder, Episcopalianism, after so much neglect.


-----------------------------------
Two scenarios for the Trump presidency from a Business Insider piece by Mathias Döpfner who is also CEO for Axel Springer whatever that is, and part owner of the magazine it looks like. The first two thirds of the article seems very well balanced and plausible. The last third reveals that MD thought Bloomberg should have been the Dem candidate for US pres. I am scoffing at that. But I want to read this article again in the fall of 2018.

4 comments:

Lucy said...

' I expect we losers are overestimating the changes that may happen in the short term. But as far as the long term goes this degrading election process may have been the signal of a great change. I hope I'm wrong and the parallels I see with the late Roman Empire are a histrionic exaggeration.'

I hope you are right in the first sentence. I had the same thought about the Roman Empire today; at least that was dynastic and you could blame genetics, no one voted them in.

Nimble said...

@Lucy: Sigh. I voted for Bernie in the primary because I didn't like the idea of another Clinton in the White House. We need to *not* have ruling families in this country.

Zhoen said...

I'm hoping even the GOP is sickened, and looking up impeachment rules.

Minnie Fleming said...

Not with a bang but a whimper.