Monday, December 19, 2016

Not all right

Cold water
I have realized that the adults are not stepping in. I'd love to be proved wrong by the end of January but judging from November and so far in December we are going to get an actively hostile government come inauguration. Not neutral or slightly bad but actively hostile to my interests. I am struggling with the idea of resistance. I started by going to the no guns on campus meeting and writing to some state legislators to ask them to change the law and not allow guns on campus and in university buildings starting next summer.

I'll look for other opportunities. Talked with Nod and we're going to keep paying taxes. For now.

From UV's blog:
"I am getting through the current times by thinking about gardening, which will probably end in me going full survivalist and learning how to make my own shoes out of dirt."

Snow
We got 2+ inches of snow on Saturday and it was pretty and terribly cold. I was grateful not to have to go more than 2 miles from my house. The tv weather folks were showing video of someone flinging boiling water into the air. It turned instantly to steam. I wish I had thought to blow some soap bubbles to see if they would freeze and settle on the snow.

The deep freeze spelled doom for the hot glue on my wreath. I have gathered the fallen pinecones and will attempt a re-do.

Wood smoke
How *do* we open the flue? Nod tried starting a fire last night with a party underway. As the house filled with smoke I opened windows and doors and was unhappy as the outside air was ~0F. Will try again under less populated circs. Once the smoke dissipated I felt much better and enjoyed the second half of the party thoroughly. Even had a good time playing CAH which is not my jam but good company is everything.

Lost objects
K lost her wallet a couple of weeks ago. She didn't have much cash in it. The learner's permit will probably be the most annoying thing to replace. It could be worse. But it's been a stab at her self image. She keeps getting upset about it and asking how could she be so irresponsible? Because objects are hard to keep track of? Then yesterday she mislaid a silver bracelet that she's worn since she was five. I tried to tell her that it happens to everyone. Either from inattention or accident some things are lost as we go through this vale of tears. Happily the bracelet turned up at her friend's house (in the blanket fort they built yesterday).



3 comments:

Zhoen said...

We are now card carrying ACLU members, and I'm going officially Democrat. How did they turn liberal into a dirty word?

Lucy said...

Tell K I still do daft stuff and beat myself up for my irresponsibility every time, and I'll join her in the blanket fort when adulthood becomes too much to bear, as it does. In fact I think I might go and build a blanket fort now.

Happy Christmas ('tis still the season) all else notwithstanding, to you and yours.

Nimble said...

Thanks!