Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Boooooooks

It's cold and I'm out of the habit of going to work. This week is a little rocky. But! There are end of the year book lists to read and that's a good thing. The cry of Booooks! is heard across the frozen prairie...

Here's Katyboo's list. Julian Barnes's The Pedant in the Kitchen sounds essayish and wonderful. Goodreads tells me that I read 76 books in 2016 but it includes the ones I marked as 'didn't finish'. I am old enough to do that (even though it still gives me qualms and I have to give myself permission out loud before I can put the book down).

My faves according to those pesky star ratings:

The Ancillary (Imperial Radch) trilogy by Anne Leckie. What a good series.
To Love and Be Wise by Josephine Tey. Charming and of its time yet also working from unexpected angles. I gobbled up the Inspector Grant books.
Can't We Talk about Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast. Memoir with all her wit and self-doubt, it carries a warning message. How do we live out our last phase of life?
Behind the Mask: The Life of Vita Sackville-West by Dennison. Strong personalities and gardens in late 19th and early 20th century England.

May we all read well in the new year. I am currently reading A Court of Thorns and Roses by Maas. It's okay but I am ready for more things to happen. I started reading Spirit of Steamboat and was happy to fall into the arms of Craig Johnson for another Longmire installment. This is a shortie but I got the next book as well.

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

Ah, Craig Johnson, what a gem.

Nimble said...

He's so great! I love the way that he uses different sorts of story telling (bullshitting at the bar, old guy war stories, cops on stakeout trying to stay awake) in his larger arcs. It is a good feeling to read a writer with those chops. Gives me confidence that I can relax into the narrative.