Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Onward

Not feeling as scared and teary as I was on Sunday. Guess it will come and go. As I told my husband, I suppose the gift that this administration is giving us is the clarification of our values. I feel more confident saying that I support access to education and healthcare for everyone to build a stronger society. I believe in compassion and caring for the most vulnerable in our society. All anarcho capitalists should go to their private tropical islands and leave the rest of us in peace.

I'm reading Headlong, a novel about how the British royal family was wiped out in a freak Hindenburg-like accident and an obscure chorus boy from Cornwall was found to be the next in line for the throne. I haven't quite worked out the tone. It has made me chuckle a couple of times.

I laughed much of the way through The Flood Girls. That's something to cherish in January. A recovering alcoholic comes back to her tiny godforsaken Montana hometown to make amends and decide if she should stay there. The small town characters are cussed and low-down and I like how much the author obviously enjoys them and their mayhem. But there are plenty of plot problems such as -- Laverna couldn't go pee by herself with two broken arms, sorry. And then there is a sacrifice near the end of the book that is a pointless plea to add pathos and meaning to the other characters' lives. It doesn't work and you should not have made that choice Mr. MFA Dumbhead. Recommended for the first three quarters, then lose the book.

Looking forward to watching British History's Biggest Fibs.

1 comment:

Zhoen said...

Love Lucy Worsley.

Counting on the 16 yr olds getting a crash course on the constitution, who will be voting soon.