Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Lemur posing

Bring me my lemur.

Detail from the portrait of Mr. and Mrs. Cortaud and their pet lemur found at the Gods and Foolish Grandeur blog. The artist is Leonard Campbell Taylor and it's worth clicking through to see the 1930s hoity toityness of this couple and their room.

Long haired cat Zing is the closest lemur substitute in our house. She wanted me to get up and entertain her this morning at 6:10 after my alarm went off. Or maybe she was lodging a complaint about the outside temperature being below 20F. At any rate I ignored her nibbling and went back to sleep.

For the last week I've woken up with at least one blocked ear. Usually it resolves itself by midday and I feel better in the afternoon. I've encountered many people with terrible colds in the last week or so and I am hoping my luck holds.

Who is collecting
Very interesting talk on educational technology in terms of the present political climate. There is so much personal information collected about every student now. It's stored in a patchwork of locations, more and more in the cloud and not under direct school control (and of course not under student control). There are businesses trying to leverage all that info to sell new products to schools. The talk points out the evolution of information gathering tech and how it was used in, yes, wait for it, Nazi Germany. I hadn't considered all of these angles before. I agree with the conclusion that personal relationships both in and out of the classroom are what needs to be valued. To get us into the future.

Franchise opportunity
I try not to read Mimi Smartypants posts too soon because they are few and far between these days. She recently tweeted a link to a 6 year old post that is high value. Sustainable walrus farming will be making me smile for the rest of the day.




No comments: