Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Forthed

Light it up
Fireworks felt a bit perfunctory. Lots of unsanctioned lights and booms going off around us before the city show. It was muggy but there was a blessed breeze that came and went. Realized that I have a hard time remembering past 4ths separately which is frustrating. Got to meet a 6 week old which was definitely the highlight. In general I felt sorry for the dogs. I started out nervous about my fellow firework watchers but as Nod told me, they weren't any different than any other year. That'll do for the gunpowder holiday.

Sing it
Heard part of a radio piece on the Star Spangled... song. It recommended adding the 5th version to the 1st that we all know. Despite the word 'illum'd' which I find a stumbling block, I'd like to learn it:

When our land is illum’d with Liberty’s smile,
If a foe from within strike a blow at her glory,
Down, down, with the traitor that dares to defile
The flag of her stars and the page of her story!
By the millions unchain’d who our birthright have gained
We will keep her bright blazon forever unstained!
And the Star-Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave
While the land of the free is the home of the brave.

Check it
Going to schedule a biopsy of my enlarged thyroid. Still feeling irritated about having to think about my thyroid at all. Prefer irritation to fear.

Bake it
I watched some more British baking yesterday. But before then I baked another loaf of soda bread with sesame seeds on top. It was well received. Nod decided we needed to grill despite the rain on the morning of the 4th. He got the fireplace going on and made a nice bed of coals. Got some veggies for K and brats and dogs for the rest of us. It was a good meal. I discovered that I like berries with whipped cream more than (grocery store) key lime pie.

Get it
Both kids were at sleepovers on the 4th and we had some time for private fun as well. I quite enjoyed having the house just to ourselves. And then I missed the kids later during the fireworks.

Jazz it
Well explained by Katyboo: "It was traditional jazz, i.e. stuff that you can still hear the tune in, rather than stuff that goes on for eight weeks and sounds like a lot of pans falling downstairs."


No comments: