Wednesday, March 25, 2020

It's weird, man

I haven't found the new normal. This is as in-between as it gets. I'm working full time from home. I've got enough equipment but my desk isn't quite right and my arm hurts. I can see my teammates as online presences, names on the screen. We occasionally meet with video but it's a much more distant experience.

We're making a grand society-wide effort (I know we have a homicidal GOP and there are scoffing idiots but we outnumber them) to protect each other. We're hearing about illness levels but not numbers of deaths in the US. Not yet. Just read that our local city emergency management leader says he expects our local hospitalization to peak around 300 people in around 30 days.

Spring is unfolding in a damp and cloudy way here but with the first flowers and tree buds as well. I want to take photos of the forsythia, daffodils and peonies in the yard. There is enough food and supplies but it's really hard not to want to go to the store every few days. Trying to keep it to once a week. I guess between the four of us we are at least going fewer than four times a week.

I've started The Raven Tower by Leckie and am finding it a good, strange experience so far. Watched Snowpiercer last night. I skipped some of the gory fight scenes and the lengthy baby-eating discussion. I liked the acting, the design and the overall act of imagination. It reminded me of a good picture book - striking images, immediacy and a story that didn't bear much logical inquiry. As an allegory of course it's right on. My daughter started Inception and since I had already sat through a movie I wandered off after 40 minutes. I will probably go back and finish it later but I kept thinking about LDC's track record of dating teenagers and about Ellen Page's me too experience - but maybe that was on another movie.   

The dog's getting walked pretty regularly. I had to ban piano playing during working hours. But otherwise I encourage the girls' musical messing around. Both grandmas and brothers have checked in. We're doing this thing for now.