Friday, September 24, 2021

Purple news

Mmm, purply

Still enjoying the randomly purple streetlights around town. Local news story link. Eventually they'll get these defective light fixtures replaced. But until then we'll get to see the Princely pools of light here and there.  


Plague latest

Got news yesterday that the campus Covid transmission rates are lower than the surrounding county rates. I find that reassuring. As far as I know, I don't know any colleagues who've gotten sick at work. I have pretty much lost my sense of pandemic dread. Being back at work in person is better for me in a bunch of ways than working from home.

I wish the high school could require vaccination but they can't so, as at my workplace, they're relying on masks. Daughter is concerned about choir where they sing through masks and I don't know how to gauge that risk. I hope we can collectively get through this winter without lots of cases.  

So happy to hear that my nephew regained his sense of taste and smell recently after having had Covid in early spring. My brother says that all three of my U.S. nephews are fully vaccinated now which was a nice surprise. The ex-sis-in-law is an anti-vax so there was influence in the other direction. 

Tripping

We're going to send our h.s. senior on a euro trip next March. This is a group trip that's being organized by a German teacher at a nearby school. 

Flowering

I have decided to plant some of the milkweed by our mailbox. It gets full sunlight and is hard to mow around. I hope it will come up in the spring and then I can mulch around it. Some of the milkweed pods I'm going to put in the freezer and plant next spring in case that's more effective. The marigolds continue to bring the joy. I am going to look up how to string a garland.  

Pudsey

Yesterday I learned of the existence of someone referred to as Bishop Pudsey although they also had the name Hugh de Puiset. He was born around 1125, was possibly related to Charlemagne and has fame as a strong-armed bishop in the north of England. "The most princely of all the Prince Bishops of Durham." His role as bishop lasted an impressive 42 years, 1156-1198. He built at least one bridge and some buildings and paid for a regional inventory called the Boldon Buke. He was advised by a hermit named St. Godric of Finchale. It was a well upholstered rabbit hole to fall into. 



No comments: