Friday, October 29, 2021

Change in the weather

Fall 

Lots of beautiful leaf color and new autumn-y conditions are prevailing. Highs in the 40s to start next week. And we just got through with a couple of days of gray chill and cold rain. As it clears out today it's sunny with gusts of wind. I just noticed that the orange flowers that were in our wildflower planter last Saturday are gone. I wonder if some nasty child picked them or if nature has taken her course. 

Opt Out 

I'm not feeling Hweeny this year. I haven't carved a pumpkin or bought any candy. I think I'll turn the porch lights out and skip trick or treating. Maybe we'll go see Dune.  

Kid Plans 

Haven't heard from Laserbeam yet if she will be home for t'giving. Sunbeam is busy all of a sudden. After volunteering for the latest outdoor show, she was hired to do sound tech for the city arts center. That took some effort and lots of time - she applied in August and has been keeping in communication with them since. She's also doing sound for a high school theatre production with November performance dates. Her calendar is suddenly full which I think is probably a good thing. (The h.s. show is All Shook Up, a musical build around Elvis songs, and you could not pay me to attend.) She did sound for her first arts center event last night - benefit auction for the Humane Society with a real auctioneer. 

Futuring

Sunbeam has also decided she wants to apply for college. The common app deadline is Halloween so it'll be an interesting weekend. Maybe it's best not to spend too much time worrying over the essay, just bang one out. Several of her choices have 11/15 deadlines which gives a touch more breathing room. I'm not sure a 4 year liberal arts college is the right thing (executive function challenges, dislike of writing) but seeing what's out there is good. I think the process will have good results no matter what the outcome.     

Shiver

I haven't thought of this song in a dog's age. The catchiest tune about seasonable depression ever. Her alto still gets to me, I love it. 




No comments: